Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

90 Day Cap discussed in London...

Re: 90 Day Cap discussed in London...

Postby Upstream » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 am

Philipb1407 wrote:I do think that, France will change their visa rules and that Spain and Portugal will follow suit. Many people across Spain & France are selling their properties, and although this brings in a sales tax, it does not compensate for the loss of daily spend locally, which creates local wealth, jobs and taxable profits.

For the EU members who visit the UK they have 180 in 365 stays they are not limited to 90 in 180, this was Britains visa Choice.

Scotland voted to leave the EU as did Northern Ireland, Wales and England. It was a UK vote the total UK vote said leave, you might as well say Spencer street of three houses in Yorkshire voted to stay in the EU. So we should ignore the whole vote, It does not work that way. The United Kingdom’s of Great Britain and Northern Ireland voted as one. That included Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England..The result was decisive. Many may not like it but it was fact.
So now we are left with Britain a third party to the EU, but many hundreds of thousands (because of the proximity to the EU) own property and assets in the EU, just as the EU citizens own property and assets in the UK.
Well educated politicians in the EU realise that shooting yourself in the foot has no benefits so are looking to change the visa rules.
Those countries whose income rely on the tourist trade will also think twice.

Owning a property in Europe assists the country in so many ways, from local council taxes and none resident taxes, to repairs and reforms, many own cars and have bought new locally sourced cars, also they buy garden furniture and employ gardeners and pool cleaners, local trades like hair dressers, cafe’s and bars as well as opticians doctors, chemists, vehicle repair shops, furniture shops and a host of other services exist to service the needs of both British immigrant residents and non residents alike. We all have something in common, we spend our Sterling in Euros in our chosen village/town/city.
That’s why so many Spanish people are so friendly with us, they know we are a valuable asset to their area.

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, some points should be challenged;

The people of Scotland did NOT vote to leave the EU. In fact, every council area in Scotland voted to remain. You also suggested that Spanish people are friendly to us because we're a valuable asset to their area - that sounds a little 'entitled' to me and also suggests that you feel that the Spanish only befriend us due to their own financial benefit - That's a little cynical.
Upstream

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby DTR » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Here's an interesting post on THE LOCAL.es

It reads ...

FACT CHECK: No, Spain isn't lobbying for 90-day rule change for Brits
Rumours that Spain could follow in France’s footsteps and look to amend the 90-day rule for Britons have resurfaced, partly due to a wrongly attributed quote claiming Spanish authorities are “lobbying” to change the law.

There’s been renewed interest in potential changes to the 90 out of 180 days Schengen rule among non-resident British second home owners in Spain and those who spend (or want to spend) extended periods of 3+ months at a time in the country.

It all started after the French Senate recently voted in favour of the country's new Immigration Bill - including an amendment that would "ease the conditions of entry into France for British citizens who own second homes in France."

It’s far from a done deal yet (more on the French case later), but it’s led the rumour mill to get rolling again in Spain, and several UK papers and English-language dailies in Spain have fed into this.

November 2023 headlines have suggested that Spanish authorities “want to change the rule” and are “trying to convince the EU”.

To lend credibility to this, there’s a quote that’s allegedly from Spain’s now former Tourism Minister Héctor Gómez (replaced in November 20th’s cabinet reshuffle), which says:

“Unfortunately, the rule is not something Spain has established by itself or can get rid of.

“It is in our interest to lobby and convince the EU that we can try to work an exception with them. But the solution must come from them.”

LBC, Daily Mail, GB News and regional English-language sites in Spain have all wrongly attributed these quotes to Gómez, without providing a source, date or location either.

Unless Spanish tourism officials are meticulously learning off by heart the same answer to the 90-day question, Héctor Gómez did not say those words in November 2023.

It is instead a quote that can be attributed to ex-Tourism Secretary Fernando Valdés, who in November 2022 told journalist Graham Keeley those exact words, as featured in an article published in i news. Valdés resigned from his post the next month.

When Valdés first made those comments, the Daily Express and GB News jumped on the story with headlines such as “Desperate Spain begs EU…”, while on this occasion an unknown reporter has wrongly attributed a quote which has spread like wildfire and not been checked.

There is no evidence that Héctor Gómez, who has now been replaced by Jordi Hereu, ever spoke publicly about the possibility of Spain extending how long non-resident UK nationals could stay in the country after Brexit made them non-EU nationals subject to Schengen freedom of movement rules.

Gómez was present at the World Travel Market in London and did talk to the press at the time that these articles claiming 'Spanish lobbying' were published, but no Spanish news source has included the quotes in question.

What has been mentioned by news agency Europa Press is that during his visit to the UK, Gómez met with Jennifer Anderson, Director of Consular Affairs and the UK Foreign Office, to address "topics of interest regarding the stays of British tourists in Spain".

In fact, Europa Press quoted Gómez as saying that Spain's British tourism market "has left behind the uncertainties of Brexit".

Therefore, as things stand there is no specific, attributable or new evidence to suggest there have been any advances on the 90 out of 180 days question.

If you’d like to learn more about the legal feasibility of Spain offering non-resident UK nationals more than 90 days, the article directly below will interest you.
DTR

Postby Philipb1407 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Upstream wrote:
Philipb1407 wrote:I do think that, France will change their visa rules and that Spain and Portugal will follow suit. Many people across Spain & France are selling their properties, and although this brings in a sales tax, it does not compensate for the loss of daily spend locally, which creates local wealth, jobs and taxable profits.

For the EU members who visit the UK they have 180 in 365 stays they are not limited to 90 in 180, this was Britains visa Choice.

Scotland voted to leave the EU as did Northern Ireland, Wales and England. It was a UK vote the total UK vote said leave, you might as well say Spencer street of three houses in Yorkshire voted to stay in the EU. So we should ignore the whole vote, It does not work that way. The United Kingdom’s of Great Britain and Northern Ireland voted as one. That included Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England..The result was decisive. Many may not like it but it was fact.
So now we are left with Britain a third party to the EU, but many hundreds of thousands (because of the proximity to the EU) own property and assets in the EU, just as the EU citizens own property and assets in the UK.
Well educated politicians in the EU realise that shooting yourself in the foot has no benefits so are looking to change the visa rules.

Owning a property in Europe assists the country in so many ways, from local council taxes and none resident taxes, to repairs and reforms, many own cars and have bought new locally sourced cars, also they buy garden furniture and employ gardeners and pool cleaners, local trades like hair dressers, cafe’s and bars as well as opticians doctors, chemists, vehicle repair shops, furniture shops and a host of other services exist to service the needs of both British immigrant residents and non residents alike. We all have something in common, we spend our Sterling in Euros in our chosen village/town/city.
That’s why so many Spanish people are so friendly with us, they know we are a valuable asset to their area.

The people of Scotland did NOT vote to leave the EU. In fact, every council area in Scotland voted to remain. You also suggested that Spanish people are friendly to us because we're a valuable asset to their area - that sounds a little 'entitled' to me and also suggests that you feel that the Spanish only befriend us due to their own financial benefit - That's a little cynical.

But the people of Scotland in every council area didn’t have an individual area choice, they are members of a single group the United Kingdom of Great Britain so you cannot separate them from the vote. The vote winner was the majority of us all. It did not give individual votes per kingdom member of Great Britain, therefore even if not one person of Scottish decent voted leave, by default of being part of Great Britain you voted leave.

Also are we not all friendly with those people who support our country, don’t we all like people for their contribution, The Spanish are not stupid, if they own a restaurant, first they make great food, then they welcome their customers, then they like the people who support their country, this is not cynical, this is the way of life it’s how people interact, there has to be a reason and in the majority of cases interaction is commerce. There are other reasons but commerce is by far the largest one.
Philipb1407

Postby Upstream » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:51 pm

Philipb1407 wrote:
Upstream wrote:

But the people of Scotland in every council area didn’t have an individual area choice, they are members of a single group the United Kingdom of Great Britain so you cannot separate them from the vote. The vote winner was the majority of us all. It did not give individual votes per kingdom member of Great Britain, therefore even if not one person of Scottish decent voted leave, by default of being part of Great Britain you voted leave.

Also are we not all friendly with those people who support our country, don’t we all like people for their contribution, The Spanish are not stupid, if they own a restaurant, first they make great food, then they welcome their customers, then they like the people who support their country, this is not cynical, this is the way of life it’s how people interact, there has to be a reason and in the majority of cases interaction is commerce. There are other reasons but commerce is by far the largest one.

In your post you specifically said that the people of SCOTLAND voted to leave the EU - that was factually incorrect as residents in ALL Scottish councils voted to remain. The fact that the UK voted as a whole, whilst true, doesn't make your statement about Scottish voters correct. As for your ideas on how people react, I'll accept that as your personal opinion and not a statement of fact, otherwise, like you comment relating to Scottish voters, it is also factually incorrect. Now... I'm not one who is wedded to my beliefs so if you can find me a credible source stating otherwise, then I'll be swayed but until then - I'll stick.
Upstream

Postby maisiesdad » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:03 am

You can lead a horse to water..... How refreshing to see DTR's factual post rather than one based on irrational, unsubstantiated conjecture and right wing spin. There are so many misconceptions in this post but I've been advised that if I am less argumentative and confrontational I'll live longer. Life is too short so I'll pass. Oh and I've got a Scottish accent so I've typed this slowly for you Phil.
maisiesdad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Previous