Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Live like a Lord in Spain

Re: Live like a Lord in Spain

Postby marcliff » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:37 am

"Milistas, those living on 1,000 euro a month"
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby 300TDi » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:16 am

The prices for shopping in Northern Ireland and in Spain are almost the same. Thats if you do not include tobacco or alcohol, which of course is a lot cheaper in Spain.

If you like to buy UK food, or even Irish food, then its a LOT more expensive in Spain compared to in Northern Ireland. Even simple food like a loaf of UK style bread costs €3 in Spain, its around 80p in NI. Cheddar cheese....man it kills me having to buy it here in Spain, its so expensive compared to NI.

As for the nonsesne about a loaf of bread going to cost a days pay in the future, you can ignore that waffle, just another Daily Express reader gibbering,
300TDi

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rafal

Postby Steve wilkins » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:42 am

300TDi wrote:
As for the nonsesne about a loaf of bread going to cost a days pay in the future, you can ignore that waffle, just another Daily Express reader gibbering,

I don't read the tabloids actually as they're full lies.

Wait till it happens, then we'll see who's talking gibberish won't we. No need for an apology though.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby wilbhoy67 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:59 am

Suma (council tax), energy bills, eating out,public transport and general day to day living is far cheaper in this part of the world than back in UK.

Food prices have risen, but still less than I was paying in the UK in 2021.

I reckon I'm still about 30 to 40% better off by being in Spain.

Obviously impact of two big conflicts going on in Europe and off the Mediterranean coast will have an impact, but that's the global food chain for you.

I tend to buy most of my fruit and veg at the Torrevieja market and don't buy things from Tesco or Iceland etc. So can't comment on their prices but Lidl, Mercadona etc all seem fairly reasonable on most items.
wilbhoy67

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Luis

Postby bryancycling » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:52 pm

We feel your pain! We live in a village in UK with no shop/pub/etc. We can walk to our nearest small town (about 40 mins) to the pub but then they charge us £18 for a pint and a G&T! Occasionally go to a lovely Indian restaurant in same town, for two of us it was over £90! Even our nearest takeaway delivery which is about every 6 weeks has gone up from about £32 to nearly £50! Unfortunately just a sign of the times but here’s the question… has higher wages increased the cost to the end consumer?
bryancycling

Which part of Spain are you from?: Atalaya Park

Postby Chrisdee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:55 pm

What town is that?

bryancycling wrote:We feel your pain! We live in a village in UK with no shop/pub/etc. We can walk to our nearest small town (about 40 mins) to the pub but then they charge us £18 for a pint and a G&T! Occasionally go to a lovely Indian restaurant in same town, for two of us it was over £90! Even our nearest takeaway delivery which is about every 6 weeks has gone up from about £32 to nearly £50! Unfortunately just a sign of the times but here’s the question… has higher wages increased the cost to the end consumer?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby bryancycling » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:01 pm

Cricklade in Wiltshire, we live in a village of about 500 residents but Cricklade is the nearest small town (first town on the Thames) It’s just so expensive to go out these days so understand why hospitality is struggling as costs in UK have escalated beyond affordable.
bryancycling

Postby marcliff » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:52 pm

300TDi wrote:The prices for shopping in Northern Ireland and in Spain are almost the same. Thats if you do not include tobacco or alcohol, which of course is a lot cheaper in Spain.

If you like to buy UK food, or even Irish food, then its a LOT more expensive in Spain compared to in Northern Ireland. Even simple food like a loaf of UK style bread costs €3 in Spain, its around 80p in NI. Cheddar cheese....man it kills me having to buy it here in Spain, its so expensive compared to NI.

This type of post has been done before. Usually ends up in an argument for some reason.
However, I think you're shopping in the wrong places. I don't particularly like the sort of bread you get for 80p a loaf in UK. If you like the size of the bread but, like me, prefer one with a bit more taste then the Pan Rustico in Aldi is great. We normally get one of their crusty loaves which freezes great and a Pan Rustico which is great for sandwiches at half the price you mentioned for UK type bread.

Cheese, normal cheddar we get from Lidl which has a marvellous mature and vintage for 4 euro for 400g (about the same as Tesco UK site sells it for). Aldi is cheaper for Cheddar but we find it a bit gritty as is the one in Mercadona. But much prefer some of the goats and sheep cheese you can get (I like the cured which is hard but my wife prefers the Tierno which is a lot creamier).

But my point being, my village in the E Midlands where we had our last house has just increased the council tax for my 3 bed semi to £2,638 so about €3,000 a year. Here my last bill for a 3 bed semi was 242 euro for the entire year. The savings on that pays my food bill for the year.

Then the savings on our fuel bills are another plus (Ofgen says the average dual fuel bill in UK is now £1,930 a year. My total bill last year was €740.

Other places. Pepco does Heinz Tomato Ketchup giant size 875ml which has just gone up from 3 euro to 3.30 (darned inflation). Always avoid Carrefour as it's the most expensive supermarket around although they do have some good offers on (just got a pack of 32 quilted loo rolls at 19 euro but bought the second and got 70% off so only 5.70 for the second one. Lovely triple quilted stuff as well.

However, people can buy what they want, where they want and what they like. It's all pretty moot, really.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby bryancycling » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:15 pm

Completely agree… we’re only in Spain about 8 weeks/year as we both still work in UK. No regrets about buying as something to look forward to every couple of months, we live in a Park Home in UK, fantastic location sat between two lakes with a 360 degree garden. Our council tax is the lowest band at £118/month but for this we get a refuse collection every two weeks & that’s about it really, most goes towards social care.
To be fair our fuel costs are manageable, we only have LPG gas so Winter is expensive & Summer is practically zero so evens out over the year. Food, utilities, fuel & general everyday prices are upwards but compared to Spain are higher in UK. We find some foods in Spain are more expensive but generally shop in Mercadonna (walking distance) & we find everything we need as find Spanish alternatives are just fine, especially the bread.
bryancycling

Postby Gustav » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:25 am

bryancycling wrote:We feel your pain! We live in a village in UK with no shop/pub/etc. We can walk to our nearest small town (about 40 mins) to the pub but then they charge us £18 for a pint and a G&T! Occasionally go to a lovely Indian restaurant in same town, for two of us it was over £90! Even our nearest takeaway delivery which is about every 6 weeks has gone up from about £32 to nearly £50! Unfortunately just a sign of the times but here’s the question… has higher wages increased the cost to the end consumer?

You must be able to afford it paying £18 for a pint and a G&T etc, personally I wouldn't pay it,it's rip off prices, but if people are willing to pay it , they will carry on charging it!
"All good things come to an end"
So many pubs closed down, but its your money your choice,
Since covid many many companies have used the excuse to jack up prices to the man / woman on the street,
And increase profits for share holders in said company's,
Grain and Oil prices have always fluctuated, prices have settled down ,
End product prices settled down even come down in some places.
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

PreviousNext

Return to Quesada general discussion