Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Doctors and nurses protesting outside Torrevieja hospital

Doctors and nurses protesting outside Torrevieja hospital

Postby Steve wilkins » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14 pm

All outside there today with cameras. Any idea what it was about? I'm assuming staff shortages but don't know.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Doctors and nurses protesting outside Torrevieja hospita

Postby Julie » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:59 am

Probably protesting about the 90% budget cut for 2024, by the Valenciana government ;) ;)
Julie

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Marquesas Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:50 am

It was to do with the budget cut and the conditions they work in
Chrisdee

Postby Steve wilkins » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:24 pm

A 90% cut in funding from 2024? For real? Is the valencian government trying to destroy the health service and force everyone to go private or what?
Steve wilkins

Postby Gustav » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Yes
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Steve wilkins » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:04 pm

Blimey. That'll be popular with the population.
Steve wilkins

Postby Gustav » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:41 pm

Wonder if this has some bearing on the slowness of treatment in the hospitals,and the system being over burdened, The issuing of Sip cards, needs to be policed correctly,
Theres non Spanish pensioners from non and EU counties getting sip cards, all they have to show is show a up to date padron and passport,
Surely that can't be right a non contributer having access to the spanish health system, they should have upto date travel insurance,to cover themselves in case of emergency,
Am I right or wrong,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paul M » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:12 pm

Gustav, the UK government pays significant sums to the Spanish government to pay for UK pensioners who are non-eu and have SIP cards. It’s certainly not a case of Spain subsidising UK expats.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby hobnob » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:51 am

Hi...reading the Spanish Press it appears that the budget of 11.1 million euro included improvements to infrastructure at Torrevieja hospital and upgrades to the Guardamar and Orihuela health centres both schemes have been pushed back until 2027. The plan is for the Partido Popular who rule Valencia to farm out health services...Oh dear where have I heard that before. On the Non Spanish and SIP cards ...I am a UK pensioner and have lived here on a permanent basis for 25 years...All my taxes are paid here ...in fact I pay more here than I would pay in the UK ..that said this is my home and I am both happy and content living here. My only issue is that in the last local elections I could vote in the local election but was not allowed to vote in the Valencian election...I questioned this via the Taxation without representation argument but although my argument held some sway with certain parties the PP representative would have none of it.
hobnob

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby Shiva » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:50 pm

Paul M wrote:Gustav, the UK government pays significant sums to the Spanish government to pay for UK pensioners who are non-eu and have SIP cards. It’s certainly not a case of Spain subsidising UK expats.

Indeed.UK pensioners are certainly not a drain on the system, since the UK covers their costs. Ditto for other European nationalities who are in Spain legitimately. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility to suggest that the health service for the general population locally is better that it might otherwise have been, if the critical mass of externally funded patients did not exist.
Shiva

Next