Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Taxation question - PLEASE REPLY IF U 100% certain

Taxation question - PLEASE REPLY IF U 100% certain

Postby Rokhsareh_s » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Goodafternoon,
I am a Spanish resident but been offered a full time employment from a UK business & they are happy for me to work remotely.
Is there any tax complication to accept this job?
I do tax return in UK (because I have other income in UK) & then in Spain.
Would it be enough to add my salary to the other income & do my tax return in both countries?
Thank u very much.
Rokhsareh_s

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Re: Taxation question - PLEASE REPLY IF U 100% certain

Postby Paul M » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:56 pm

Don’t think it matters where you make your money from, if you are resident in Spain, your global income is taxable here. I believe the only exception would be a Crown Pension.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Darro » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:21 pm

A lot if things to consider here not just where you pay tax!

For instance you would have to set yourself up a autonomo in Spain and pay into the Spanish health system.

If you are doing a tax return in UK because you have property there from which you derive rental income that is something entirely separate to income derived from employment which would have to be declared in Spain.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:33 pm

If you're a Spanish resident you have to declare your global earnings to the Spanish and pay Spanish taxes
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Shiva » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:36 pm

The main complications imo is just the paperwork. How do you receive healthcare in Spain? If you are paying privately or have a pensioner S1 you would just carry on that way. There is no reason why you would have to set up as an autonomo in Spain or pay Spanish social security if all the work is conducted for ( and notionally 'in') the UK fora UK business.. You'll need to keep doing two tax Returns, Spain and UK. You have to declare all your income in Spain and pay Spanish tax.if tax is deducted at source in UK you can claim this back through your UK tax return using the 'foreign' pages and under the double taxation Treaty, saying and giving details of the tax paid in Spain. Its a bit messy paperwork wise but you'd get the refund within a week of submitting yr UK tax return. Ideally getting a UK accountant to deal with your UK tax return takes some of the admin pain out of it. If you have a UK address life would also be easier. So there's no major tax complication as such just more paperwork and a bit of activation of the double taxation treaty...
Ps And of course every individual situation can have its own wrinkles, it's a fudgy sort of area admin wise but basically if you are declaring all properly to each authorities and doing 2 tax returns it will boil down to admin pain. But do-able. A UK accountant would be helpful to have.
Shiva

Postby Rokhsareh_s » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone, specially Shiva. Very helpful. I am an Accountant myself & doing my tax return in UK. But have an Assesor in Spain as they do things differently.
Rokhsareh_s

Postby Bee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:35 pm

This link might be useful to you as it is the lived experience of some of the contributors with a similar situation to yourself.

https://www.expatforum.com/threads/if-i ... o.1495904/

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Rokhsareh_s » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:14 am

Thank u Bee x
Rokhsareh_s