Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Thieves operating in Mercadona Benijofar

Thieves operating in Mercadona Benijofar

Postby debgreen » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:29 am

Hello,

Thought I would just put a recent experience out there for people using any supermarket at the moment.

I went to Mercadonna yesterday at Benijofar. I put a shopping bag in the bottom of my trolley to use after the checkout and someone stole it when I left my trolley unattended for 5 seconds.

In itself I was fortunate - it was just a shopping bag, but if I'd had my bag, keys in it, it could have been a very different story.

I know we can all get distracted easily, but don't leave any personal items in your trolley (even shopping bags) as it makes you a target for thieves operating in any of the stores.

I intend to report this to Mercadonna the next time I go, so they can be aware and more vigilant about thieves targeting their customers.

Happy Shopping.

Deb
debgreen

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Re: Thieves operating in Mercadona Benijofar

Postby Steve wilkins » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:42 am

Shocking. A 50c bag and someone thought they'd still steal it. Don't they have cctv in store? Mercadona gets mentioned a lot on here as the go to place for thieves.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul M » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:59 am

Do Mercadona, or any other supermarkets for that matter, actually care about this going on? It seems to be a constant issue year after year.

Of course the shops themselves are not responsible for these scumbags but many of them don’t even have CCTV in car parks which might provide some level of deterrent.
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:05 am

It's really up to us to look after our bags etc. I see it all the time, handbags left unattended, some people are stupid. Not talking about shopping bags, think we all do that.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby sunworshipper » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:35 pm

Opportunist thieves will take any bag. Probably thought a purse may be in it.
As Chrisdee says it is up to us to be extra vigilant and look after our possessions , especially at this time of year.
Happy in the sun.
sunworshipper

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Darro » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:31 pm

debgreen wrote:I put a shopping bag in the bottom of my trolley to use after the checkout and someone stole it when I left my trolley unattended for 5 seconds.
Hard to believe someone would risk being caught stealing something as relatively worthless as an empty shopping bag, could it simply be that someone genuinely thought it had been abandoned in an empty trolley and picked it up?
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Kaz123 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:55 pm

Always thieves in Mercadona, easy target. I was hoping the police presence in the last few weeks was going to deter them
Kaz123

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby debgreen » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:59 pm

There was shopping in the trolley at the time.
Deb
debgreen

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Sundaze » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:53 pm

Thank you Debgreen for the timely reminder.
Whilst we all probably know what we should do, a minute of distraction is all it takes for a thief to strike.
I for one appreciate your post.
Sundaze

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Rosie.d » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:53 am

Just a slightly different slant on this , if you purchase small items , lipstick , mascara etc make sure you pick them up as they are scanned and put them in your handbag . The assistant in Consum packed my bag for me whilst i was paying with my card . Guess what , no lipstick when i arrived home and i had looked at the checkout just to make sure everything was in my shopping bag , there were only five items anyway . There was some problem scanning my debit card and i wonder was this a diversionary tactic as I've never had a problem before . I live too far away to consider returning and would find it too complicared to deal with over the phone . I know to be careful in future
Rosie.d

Which part of Spain are you from?: Orihuela