Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Fire logs

Fire logs

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:36 pm

Popped over to Los Perez for logs but was closed, yes it was Saturday and 1.45 but are they normally open Mon - Fri or do you have to call first. Also, what's the best wood for a log burner as you can get quite a few different ones.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: Fire logs

Postby jpeg » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:51 pm

Citrus orange and lemon to start the fire then a good hardwood like olive or oak and almond to ensue heat and long burning you should not use Pine or soft woods as they will fill the chimney with sap
There is a good wood for sale yard on the way into San Filipe near Catral and also on the way into Dolores from AP7
Last edited by jpeg on Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:10 pm

Thanks Fred, I've got lots of kindling and the fire starting blocks for getting it going. Just need the wood now as gave it all away when we decided not to use it but now the girls want a log fire occasionally. We got about a dozen huge bits but too big for the fire I know you can probably cut them in half but I can't.
Chrisdee

Postby willemite » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi Chrisdee

If you phone or text her re opening times she always answers (in Spanish) 695 348 572
We get ours from there as we can choose the right size.

Have you had your chimney cleaned recently ?
We use Sooty +34 660 478 881 they are based in Murcia so only comes to certain areas once he has at least 5 properties to do.
They are excellent, not a bit of mess anywhere, we were very impressed. Also receive a certificate re work done if you want to show it to your building insurance co.
It’s around 85e Money well spent.

Cheers
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby Chrisdee » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:23 pm

We do have it swept but haven't used it for a few years as been using Aircon, think we've used the other sweep. Used it for the first time last week now the girls want to use it when it turns really cold, Ive told them if they use it they clean it!!
Just need a new glass, shall check it out next week as they were closed when I went today.

willemite wrote:Hi Chrisdee

If you phone or text her re opening times she always answers (in Spanish) 695 348 572
We get ours from there as we can choose the right size.

Have you had your chimney cleaned recently ?
We use Sooty +34 660 478 881 they are based in Murcia so only comes to certain areas once he has at least 5 properties to do.
They are excellent, not a bit of mess anywhere, we were very impressed. Also receive a certificate re work done if you want to show it to your building insurance co.
It’s around 85e Money well spent.

Cheers
Chrisdee

Postby billogs » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:58 pm

We use encina which is Holm Oak. It's cheaper than oak and burns better than the lemon we have had. Just ask her which pile is Encina?
billogs

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:10 pm

Thank you
Chrisdee

Postby fireroute » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Surprisingly no one advised you that your wood, no matter what species has to be dry, the wood from the lots still has a high moister content. Piling wood 20 meters high does not allow air drying. You should really have you wood on hand, piled in a single row (bark side up) for one year. Green wood will still burn but the BTU return is greatly reduced as the energy is used up "drying" the wood. Dry wood has a distinct sound when struck together. Another point is when you have a good fire that has been going for a while and you dampen you burner for optimal burn go outside and look at the exhaust from the flue, if it's white or blue smoke your wood is not burning properly and may result in creosote(not sap) buildup, there should be no visible smoke at all.
fireroute

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby willemite » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:38 am

Hi Chrisdee hope you got your glass renewed.
Not sure if you have one but we bought years ago ‘ash Hoover’ it’s purposely built for ash only, brilliant and so easy and quick.
Think they are around 29/39e Leroy Merlin - buy the girls one for Christmas.
(Ps don’t know how to add the imoji).
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:21 am

I've often thought of getting one when I've seen them but never did.
I think it's the way to go now you mention it. Thanks for reminding me. They didn't do the glass on the spot, pick it up today or tomorrow. We don't plan on using the log fire all the time just occasionally when it's really cold.

willemite wrote:Hi Chrisdee hope you got your glass renewed.
Not sure if you have one but we bought years ago ‘ash Hoover’ it’s purposely built for ash only, brilliant and so easy and quick.
Think they are around 29/39e Leroy Merlin - buy the girls one for Christmas.
(Ps don’t know how to add the imoji).
Chrisdee

Next