Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

A bit of useless information!!

Re: A bit of useless information!!

Postby jpeg » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Mac3blade wrote:When I was growing up, my father used to enjoy sharing what he called “useless information “ and I still remember them.
We all know TESCO and it’s a name we’ve known for years but do you know how the name came about?
A gentleman called Cohen was the founder of this brand and his wife was called TESSA COHEN so he decided to call it after her! The names were both slightly shortened to create TES CO. TESCO.
As simple as that. Tesco was born.

I love useless information, does anyone have any to share??

Origins

Jack Cohen, the son of Jewish migrants from Poland, founded Tesco in 1919 when he began to sell war-surplus groceries from a stall at Well Street Market, Hackney, in the East End of London.[13] The Tesco brand first appeared in 1924. The name came about after Jack Cohen bought a shipment of tea from Thomas Edward Stockwell. He made new labels using the initials of the supplier's name (TES), and the first two letters of his surname (CO), forming the word TESCO.[13]
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Darro » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:21 pm

blingle wrote:
Darro wrote:The LG stands for'Life's Good'.

It came into being in 1995 when the Korean 'Lucky Star' company reinvented themselves and changed it.

Not according to....ermmmm...LG...!!!

"Life's Good" is their slogan.

https://www.lg.com/global/our-brand/brand-story/

If you read it all the way through you'll see that the truncated "LG" name did indeed come about in 1995.

On January 1, 1995, the morning newspapers unveiled LG's new CI to citizens nationwide. The winking red smiley face had a simple message printed below, "Happy New Year."

The ad sparked widespread curiosity. Then, on January 4, after the New Year holidays, LG satisfied public curiosity with a full-page newspaper article titled, "Lucky Goldstar turns into LG." This was LG's first official greeting to the public.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:49 am

I’m still going with Tess Cohen. If you Google, you’ll find that piece of useless information too!!!!
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Martin the artist » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:01 am

In UK to wish actors good luck you say 'Break a leg'-
Many thoughts behind the origin, but generally after a good performance the audience would throw money on the stage if it was a good show, and the actors had to kneel down - or break their leg - to pick it up.
In Spain you wish them 'Mucho mierda' - or a lot of s**t!
Because the audience would walk out when they'd had enough, but if they stayed a long while their horses that waiting outside would create more mierda!
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby blingle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:55 am

Darro wrote:
blingle wrote:
Darro wrote:The LG stands for'Life's Good'.

It came into being in 1995 when the Korean 'Lucky Star' company reinvented themselves and changed it.

Not according to....ermmmm...LG...!!!

"Life's Good" is their slogan.

https://www.lg.com/global/our-brand/brand-story/

If you read it all the way through you'll see that the truncated "LG" name did indeed come about in 1995.

On January 1, 1995, the morning newspapers unveiled LG's new CI to citizens nationwide. The winking red smiley face had a simple message printed below, "Happy New Year."

The ad sparked widespread curiosity. Then, on January 4, after the New Year holidays, LG satisfied public curiosity with a full-page newspaper article titled, "Lucky Goldstar turns into LG." This was LG's first official greeting to the public.

Exactly! LG being the truncated "Lucky Goldstar"...and as mentioned even further down, "Life's Good" being their new slogan.
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Mac3blade » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:47 pm

MIWADI

If you lived in Ireland, you would know this brand of lovely orange squash.( and other flavours too) The original name of the company who manufactured it was MINERAL WATER DISTRIBUTERS INCORPORATED A huge mouthful you might say! But a yummy mouthful to us when we were kids!! Wisely cut down to MIWADI. Still a great product.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Previous