Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

A bit of useless information!!

A bit of useless information!!

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:18 pm

When I was growing up, my father used to enjoy sharing what he called “useless information “ and I still remember them.
We all know TESCO and it’s a name we’ve known for years but do you know how the name came about?
A gentleman called Cohen was the founder of this brand and his wife was called TESSA COHEN so he decided to call it after her! The names were both slightly shortened to create TES CO. TESCO.
As simple as that. Tesco was born.

I love useless information, does anyone have any to share??
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Re: A bit of useless information!!

Postby blingle » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:42 pm

Furbies are banned from the Pentagon.
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby marcliff » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:46 pm

Mac3blade wrote:
I love useless information, does anyone have any to share??

Loads but I'd probably put it in the off topic thread rather than the Quesada one.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby 300TDi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:15 pm

Some useless information I know, is that the shop in Quesada is not called Tesco, but The Food Co. Yet for some reason people keep calling it Tesco.
300TDi

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rafal

Postby marcliff » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:25 pm

300TDi wrote:Some useless information I know, is that the shop in Quesada is not called Tesco, but The Food Co. Yet for some reason people keep calling it Tesco.

Because it had (in small letters) "stockists of" and then in big letters TESCO with the Tesco colour logo on it. Now they have changed to other suppliers they don't advertise the Tesco bit so much but you even had a sign saying "Welcome to stockists of TESCO" as you went in.

The Tesco sign and colouring were in several places.

Even the signs pointing to Overseas had a big ICELAND sign with stockists in smaller lettering. Still like that at San Fulgencio now the Torrevieja one has closed.

On another point, when it was going everyone referred to GAMA even though the name was Jumerca. Gama simply meaning range as in range of goods. But Gama was easier than Jumerca. (I miss that place).
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:12 pm

As you well know, people know it as Tesco,s

300TDi wrote:Some useless information I know, is that the shop in Quesada is not called Tesco, but The Food Co. Yet for some reason people keep calling it Tesco.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby 300TDi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:49 pm

marcliff wrote:

Because it had (in small letters) "stockists of" and then in big letters TESCO with the Tesco colour logo on it. Now they have changed to other suppliers they don't advertise the Tesco bit so much but you even had a sign saying "Welcome to stockists of TESCO" as you went in.

The Tesco sign and colouring were in several places.

Even the signs pointing to Overseas had a big ICELAND sign with stockists in smaller lettering. Still like that at San Fulgencio now the Torrevieja one has closed.

On another point, when it was going everyone referred to GAMA even though the name was Jumerca. Gama simply meaning range as in range of goods. But Gama was easier than Jumerca. (I miss that place).

I only visited Jumerca once when they had an offer on Weetabix. Bought multiple boxes and they were all soft when I opened them despite having plenty of shelf life remaining.

Did meet a random cat outside that I picked up and it gave such a lovely cuddle, totally flat back legs and everything. I named him Mr Cuddly Pants. I have never seen him again since then.
300TDi

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rafal

Postby Barry martyn » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:25 pm

thomas edward stockwell , tes tea importer cohen the shop owner , co

hence tes co. TESCO ,
Barry martyn

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby blingle » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:52 pm

Barry martyn wrote:thomas edward stockwell , tes tea importer cohen the shop owner , co

hence tes co. TESCO ,

So now we have 2 theories.........!
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Chrisdee » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:34 pm

Google says the 2nd one,

blingle wrote:
Barry martyn wrote:thomas edward stockwell , tes tea importer cohen the shop owner , co

hence tes co. TESCO ,

So now we have 2 theories.........!
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Next