Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

EHIC card

EHIC card

Postby Graysue » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 pm

Hi, Does anyone know what to do to get a new GHIC card when the EHIC one has expired. Can’t apply online as we live here now so no UK address. We don’t have social security numbers or work here. We wanted to get flu and covid jabs but now can’t. Thanks in advance.
Graysue

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: EHIC card

Postby marcliff » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:16 pm

Are you a resident here and drawing a pension? If so then you can phone Newcastle and ask for an updated EHIC. You can't get a GHIC unless you are resident in UK.

If under retirement age and resident in Spain you cannot get either the EHIC or the GHIC from UK but may be eligible to request the Spanish equivalent or TSE but I think that's only available if you have access to the Spanish Health system with a SIP card.

However, the health centre at Lo Marabu was issuing a temporary health number to non residents to get their covid and (I think) flu vaccines. The policy is to give everyone in the groups eligible for the vaccines regardless of resident status.

They are given to all those over 60, those resident in nursing homes and those under 60 with chronic illnesses such as diabetes, morbid obesity and cancer plus smokers.

You can buy a flu vaccine at the pharmacy and the nurse will administer it. When we went for ours, there were others in your situation getting a temp health card number and getting the vaccines.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Graysue » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:15 pm

Hi, yes we are residents under 60. Not working. Thanks for your advice. Tried getting another temp sip at lo marabou but they wouldn’t help and a bit rude. They issued the first one to us for the original covid jabs. Will have to get flu jabs from chemist and leave the Covid one. ️. Thank you again
Graysue

Postby Joyce » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:31 am

Have you any family in the U.K. you could use for an address. My husband forgot to bring his with him when we came for our last 90 days. So he ordered one online to be delivered to our sons. When it arrived he photo copied it and the Postbox sealed it for us in the plastic casing
Joyce

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Graysue » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:55 am

Oh ok I’ll look into that one, thank you
Graysue

Postby Darro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 am

It's not about where it's delivered, it's about not being entitled to it which the OP is not.

Those who are eligible can have them delivered to Spain or whatever other country they may happen to live, no need for subterfuge which wouldn't work anyway as your NI number, which you have to give during an application, will instantly reveal your residential status and automatically disqualify an application.

As well as not being eligible to renew Spanish residents should not be using an EHIC in Spain at all.

The fact the OP was previously granted a temporary SIP card was a error likely based on somebody assuming they were tourists or simply assuming the EHIC was valid because it had not reached it's expiry date.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:25 am

I haven't applied yet, but just recently I obtained my own SIP card as previously I was piggy backing on my husband's but when I became a pensioner I applied for my own. They told me in the UK to send my EHIC back and then apply for another new one? They know I live in Spain ?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Shiva » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 am

[quote="Darro"]
"...which wouldn't work anyway as your NI number, which you have to give during an application, will instantly reveal your residential status and automatically disqualify an application."

While not disagreeing with the main points of what you say, I am extremely doubtful about the UK system being as efficient and joined-up as all that! Not sure how an NI number would automatically reveal residential status...
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:27 am

Chrisdee wrote:I haven't applied yet, but just recently I obtained my own SIP card as previously I was piggy backing on my husband's but when I became a pensioner I applied for my own. They told me in the UK to send my EHIC back and then apply for another new one? They know I live in Spain ?

Because you are entitled to a UK EHIC as an S1 holder. For use in other EU countries and also should you need treatment on a visit to the UK.Not for use in Spain. In Spain you use your SIP.
Shiva

Postby Darro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Shiva wrote:While not disagreeing with the main points of what you say, I am extremely doubtful about the UK system being as efficient and joined-up as all that! Not sure how an NI number would automatically reveal residential status...
Believe me is and it will however you won't get that far as the preliminary questions prior to that take you to a page which says:

Based on the information you have given us, we cannot confirm your eligibility
You may be eligible for a UK GHIC if you meet one of the following criteria:
  • You are legally living in the UK and you don’t have healthcare cover provided by an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein
  • You are living in the EU with a registered S1, E121, E106 or E109 form issued by the UK
  • You are living in the EU with an A1 document which is issued by the UK
  • You are a family member or dependant of an entitled individual already listed.
You may be eligible for a new UK EHIC if you meet one of the following criteria:
  • You are living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, since before 1 January 2021 with a registered S1, E121, E106 or E109 form issued by the UK
  • You are living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, since before 1 January 2021 with an A1 issued by the UK
  • You are a UK resident who is studying in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, and have been studying there since before 1 January 2021
  • You are a national of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein who has legally resided in the UK since before 1 January 2021 and are covered under the Withdrawal Agreement. You may not be covered if you‘re also a UK national or if you were born in the UK.
  • You are a family member or dependant of an entitled individual already listed.
  • You are a Chen or Ibrahim/Teixeira carer
ight
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Next