Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

House condensation solutions

Re: House condensation solutions

Postby Mac3blade » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:47 am

If you could consider changing your bedroom windows to double glazed units, this will stop all the water ( condensation) on your window. In the interim, use a window blade and clear all condensation from the window once you’ve opened your curtains. Remember, at night time it’s cold outside. You draw your curtains over and trap air between the curtains and the cold window. This only occurs for a few months and once the temperature begins to rise, there’ll be no more condensation. Check the area behind the curtains and make sure there’s no black damp/ mildew stains. You can help prevent damage by putting some Upva glue diluted onto the wall. ( it’s called Blanco and on sale in any Chinese shop) Use 1 part blanco with 5 parts water. This will seal your wall and prevent the damp from damaging your walls.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Chrisdee » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:03 pm

Can you post a picture of what you use as Blanco is just white?
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby davegrego » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:40 pm

All good advice above. I added a ventilator at the top of out stairs which also helped
davegrego

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Laguna

Postby Philipb1407 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:15 pm

Chrisdee wrote:Can you post a picture of what you use as Blanco is just white?

When uPVA glue is diluted and used as a paint, although when it is first applied it is white, it drys clear although a little glossy. You can then paint any colour over it, to create a damp proof membrane.
It is used a lot on sealing new concrete or on dry lining on walls. It is ideal for traditional tiling in bathrooms to promote adherence, to plasterboard, but I don’t think it’s any good with Spanish cement for tiles.
When used to protect against damp, it works very well keeping the area dry and waterproof once it’s dried.
New chip board or plywood is generally coated with uPVA glue to help other adhesives bond to the wood. Wood glue is uPVA and is used to glue furniture together.
Carpenters in wood swear that there is no better wood glue. That also drys clear.
One other use is for helping self levelling compound to adhere, you paint the rough or uneven surface of new concrete, with uPVA and water mix, then when it’s dry, pour the self levelling compound on the floor to level it, once dry you have a great level floor to lay tiles on or put carpet or wood flooring down.
Philipb1407

Postby Brewingdog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:04 am

The last couple of nights we've left the bedroom doors open and cracked both windows in the spare rooms and bathroom with the shutters down. House is pretty cool during the night but there's been no condensation anywhere.
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford

Postby Darro » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:03 am

Mac3blade wrote:If you could consider changing your bedroom windows to double glazed units, this will stop all the water (condensation) on your window.
That's nonsense, of itself double glazing cannot and will not prevent condensation!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Mac3blade » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:23 am

Are you talking about condensation on the glass? Many years ago, our home was single glazed and once the curtains were drawn, the glass became covered with condensation and the water poured down the windows onto the window sills. Now,there’s absolutely no condensation to be seen. So, I’m attributing the lack of condensation to be as a result of the double glazing. Why do you think otherwise???
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby lindylou23 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 am

Darro wrote:
Mac3blade wrote:If you could consider changing your bedroom windows to double glazed units, this will stop all the water (condensation) on your window.
That's nonsense, of itself double glazing cannot and will not prevent condensation!

Well it certainly helps. The metal of the aluminium windows I had before changing to uvpc double glazing were so cold to touch and as as I heated the house and it got warm the glass and frames, even with some ventilation, got wet/damp both the frames and glass, the metal frames used to feel like ice especially on really cold nights.

Since the change to uvpc the frames are warmer to the touch, winter and summer, and warm with the heat I generate in the room so there is not the clash of the hot and cold metal which I believea causes the dampness.
lindylou23

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby mondo » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:22 pm

The damp could be from external issues. In that case stopping it getting in will help.But most condensation is from internal factors so you need to stop the internal humidity.
Basic physics says that warm air holds more moisture than cold air so the moisture laden warm air touches the cold window and has to release the moisture as it is now cooler..the water is then deposited on the window (or other cold surface). Opening a window allows the warm wet air out.

Ventilate, ventilate...
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:29 pm

Definitely new windows. As a stop gap, you can stuff a bit of bubble wrap in the holes next to the window running channels as that stop cold air blowing in from outside. Mould proof paint is also a must.
Speedy Gonzalez

PreviousNext