Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

House condensation solutions

House condensation solutions

Postby Teatime2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:11 am

Hi all, all the best to you all for 2024. This is our first winter in our house and it suffers terribly from condensation. Especially the upstairs rooms. In the UK we had a forced ventilation system installed in our loft forcing outside air into our home and this resolved the problem. What do you people do here in Spain to rid your homes of condensation. I'm aware of dehumidifiers. Many thanks in advance.
Teatime2

Which part of Spain are you from?: SALFORD

Re: House condensation solutions

Postby Andrew Hardy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:34 am

Blinds down and windows just slightly open. As far as dehumidifiers are concerned, are you aware that you are con units will do the job for you. Assuming you have some, most have a dehumidifying function. Another consideration is the type of heating you are using. Gas fires with bottled gas are notorious for creating condensation problems. Took us a year or two to find the best solution. Good Luck.
Andrew Hardy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:45 am

We have a spare bedroom or 2, one we use as a study which face North, they are the worst ones. We do use an independent dehumidifier as the aircon has the function but because it's older it's a little nosier than a new one. In The study we've put a thick polystyrene sheet between the shutter and window (2 halves) as we have the older aluminium windows, maybe UVPC are better. As for walls we have them painted with anti mould paint, that helps an awful lot, without it we notice small grey patches appear which turn to black mouldy patches. We also have a few cupboards in the study, we pull them away from the walls to allow air to circulate.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Brewingdog » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:55 am

Not seen domestic forced ventilation systems here in Spain. I too have a bottle gas heater which I use sparingly as it makes things worse. Aircon on dry can help but I'm reluctant to leave that running all night as we sleep. Shutters down, window cracked open is probably the best option.
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford

Postby lindylou23 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:12 pm

We were the same had terrible condensation upstairs, then we changed all our windows and patio doors to proper double glazed uvpv ones and we've not had a problem since.

We even on occasion use a gas bottle fire after aircon has heated room up and it's been fine since the change.

I think when you heat rooms when you have aluminium windows the frames are so cold it causes the condensation, so yes window or door ajar can help reduce it, but flippin draughty on a cold night
lindylou23

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby mondo » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:54 pm

Condensation is almost always due to poor ventilation.

Leaving a window open a little bit should fix the problem....usually.

When we sleep we breathe out about a pint of water each night...it has to go somewhere....
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar

Postby Brewingdog » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:22 pm

So maybe leaving the bedroom doors open as well as cracking the window open.
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford

Postby Philipb1407 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:14 pm

I had a damp proof course fitted, and central heating with 9 radiators, aluminium with convected heat. 1 hour in the morning, 3-4 hours an the evening, but only in winter, I no longer use the gas fire. I’m looking to have an electric fire installed. Now I did notice that when it was windy, a draft ran through the lounge from the floor level air vent inlet by the door to the chimney. So that must be the air circulation needed to keep damp/condensation at bay. So if I fit a fire, I’ll be installing another air vent by the new fire.
It’s been 6 years since the DPC and central heating was installed and there has been no further instances of black patches of mold. We had a couple by the windows. I repainted with anti mold paint. In winter I get a little glass condensation in the bedroom (an inch max)but only if the windows are closed. Which is very rare. In summer all the windows are open fully and the blinds open a few inches. And every door in the villa wide open

Saying this, when we are not there I have left the bathroom windows open with the blinds closed, protected by the exterior metal grills, I have also left 1 lounge window slightly open, again protected by exterior grills and the blind closed. So no problem.
Recently I have employed a key holder, who visits once per week and opens all the windows to let air circulate, once per month she cleans taking 2-3 hours.
I’ve done this due to the attempted burglary, for €480 a year a weekly visit and the benefit of a monthly clean (paid separately) is worth every penny. It’s also worth it to turn up after travelling from the UK to a perfectly clean house, with nothing to do, knowing it’s been checked over every week.
When we first bought, we did put dehumidifiers in the bathrooms by the shower drain, but this did nothing.
Hope this helps..
Philipb1407

Postby Simon&Sue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:30 am

We fitted some air bricks which solved the problem. When i say fitted airbricks we purchased internal and external grills and got a bulder to drill holes through the walls and we then added the grills.
Simon&Sue

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby El Buho » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:23 am

General advice to prevent condensation -

Ensure your property is well ventilated & consistently heated

Avoid drying clothes indoors

Cover pans when cooking

Install an extractor fan in the bathroom

Close internal doors when bathing/showering
El Buho

Which part of Spain are you from?: Ciudad Quesada