Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Prescription from another EU country

Prescription from another EU country

Postby guest2011 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:10 pm

Hello and happy new year.
Are the prescriptions for from another EU country valid in Spain? Or we have to visit a Spanish doctor to make a new prescription?
Guest2011
guest2011

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Re: Prescription from another EU country

Postby marcliff » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:35 pm

Prescriptions in one EU country are valid in all other EU countries but the type may not be the same.
Ask your doctor to issue you a "cross border prescription" which must contain
Patient details: surname and first name (both written in full), and date of birth
Date of issue of the prescription
Details of the prescribing doctor: surname and first name (written in full), professional qualification, direct contact details, work address (including the country), and signature (written or digital)
Details of the prescribed product: its common name (rather than the brand name, which may be different in another country), format (tablet, solution, etc.), quantity, strength and dosage.

However, the pharmacies here will issue prescription medication by just showing them the repeat part or even, mostly, just the original box but you will have to pay the full amount if you do it that way.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby guest2011 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info.
How about the price of the medication. In the main country it can be reduced price when you have prescription from your doctor. Is it full price if I get it in Spain?
Guest2011
guest2011

Postby marcliff » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:17 pm

guest2011 wrote:Thanks for the info.
How about the price of the medication. In the main country it can be reduced price when you have prescription from your doctor. Is it full price if I get it in Spain?
Guest2011

This link EU prescriptions says you may have to pay the full cost upfront and then claim it back in your own country.

The Spanish health authorities also quote the bit about paying full cost but then claiming it back when you go back to your own country.

The EU FAQ page gets asked this question quite a lot and the answer is always that you pay full cost and then claim when returning home.

Patients in Spain pay from 40 to 60 percent of the cost or 10% if over pensionable age or low income. The younger you are and the more you earn the more you pay. The pharmacy will not know this information so it appears you pay the full cost and then claim it back if you are short term visitor.

If you are going to be staying longer than 3 months then you must show you have health insurance, either private or state provided, to do so and then the rules in Spain will apply to you once you have gone on the register of EU foreign citizens registered in Spain so it will depend on what you are going to do. Short stay, pay, Long stay register and get the same service as Spanish nationals.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby guest2011 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:26 pm

Thank you for usefull information :)
Guest2011
guest2011

Postby Murt » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:02 pm

I've brought my prescription from Ireland to different pharmacies in both Rojales and Beniofar. The prescription was filled in both places without a problem and I was charged far less than I normally pay in Ireland.

They also had no problem dispensing 6 months at a time either, but I had to come back the next day for some of the medicine, as they didn't have 6 months supply on hand. Anyway, as I said there was no problem and they were very helpful.

Having said that, the prescription I was filling didn't contain sleeping tablets. Neither did it contain Neurofen plus nor Solpadeine, both of which are apparently highly addictive due to codeine content. Someone told me that the pharmacist refused to dispense these, and that they had to take their prescription to a Spanish doctor, who transcribed from the Irish/UK prescription to a Spanish one.
Murt

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada MarquesaGolf