Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Building a stud frame

Building a stud frame

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:07 pm

Good afternoon.

Due to not being able to find anyone that is capable of building a stud frame for me, i have decided i will have to do it myself.

But what i am unsure of, is what type of screws/bolts would i need to use with these hollow type bricks we have here? Would i need to use rawl plugs on both the walls and the concrete/tiled floor, or is there a type that can just screw straight in?

The frame will have to take quite a bit of weight.

Any help/advice from any tradesmen/competent DIYers out there would be very greatly received.

Thanks
Speedy Gonzalez

Re: Building a stud frame

Postby jpeg » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:13 pm

I would go see Lords Wood Houses in Lo Perez opposite the woodyard
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:45 pm

Yes that's a good shout, i never thought of them. Thanks.
Speedy Gonzalez

Postby Sligogent » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:31 pm

What size Studs are you erecting, What will stud wall be used for as it will have a bearing on Size of Studs to use, I am semi retired Carpenter, I am based in Altos de Limonar,
[email protected] is email address if you want any advice
Sligogent

Which part of Spain are you from?: Punta Prima

Postby Gustav » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:09 pm

Why a stud wall?
What size is the wall,
When I drill into the hollow brick I pump some adesive in so it mushrooms behind and fix into that.
The block brick could be cheaper, JTbuilders advertise on here,
Or why not the metal drywall system board both sides all fixings, materials etc avialable from Leroy merlin they will also offer advice, or look on youtube,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Philipb1407 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:44 pm

why use stud partitioning when the Spanish use very thin ceramic brick! Its quicker, sturdy and easy to build, you don’t need spirit levels, just compo and ceramic brick, you can then affix plaster board directly onto the brick using a adhesive like tile cement if you want, or render over the brick! You can channel out routing for wiring or water pipes. The ceramic brick can be fixed on its edge to the existing wall in a similar method.
Philipb1407

Postby 24210168 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:36 am

The metal and plasterboard system available at most builders merchants is quick and easy. You could also put insulation behind it. Either thermal or acoustic or combined.

Which part of Spain are you from?: Zarrra

Postby Philipb1407 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:51 am

24210168 wrote:The metal and plasterboard system available at most builders merchants is quick and easy. You could also put insulation behind it. Either thermal or acoustic or combined.

I think the reason the Spanish use the ceramic brick system is that it does not create a cavity between the wall, using a stud creates a cavity even if filled with insulation or sound proofing materials. Cavities in a country like Spain is a home for all wild life, like cockroaches, beetles and all the other bugs that are in abundance. I presume the building of solid concrete frame, filled with ceramic brick, rendered is for that very reason. Just my opinion though..
Philipb1407

Postby Bee » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:14 pm

Here is an old post and a video of a Spanish guy drilling holes in the brick. It appears there are 2 types of brick used in the walls in Spanish construction. One type in outer walls and one type in inner walls. Someone may be able to verify that.

quesada-general-discussion-f9/hollow-walls-t37928.html

https://youtu.be/MetgPW2gfHE?si=atDL0EgtDSbm6uJa

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:07 pm

Thanks for your comments and links.

It's going to be for soundproofing. I am aware of other materials and have decided that a wooden frame is right for me.

The wood must be between 40mm - 50mm (max) thick.

I just need to know what screws/plugs/bolts to use to make a secure frame to take the weight of what materials i am going to put on it.

Thanks.
Speedy Gonzalez