Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Caixa bank asking for Uk National Insurance Number

Caixa bank asking for Uk National Insurance Number

Postby shap » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:44 pm

As non residents with a property here in Quesada, Caixa bank has asked that we visit the bank with our Uk National Insurance numbers and to sign confirming the same. Presumably this has to do with income and tax. Can anyone please elaborate upon this for me. Thanks
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Caixa bank asking for Uk National Insurance Number

Postby daz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 pm

I had to produce the same a few years back, and same as you say, it’s to do with tax liability and also another form of I D proving who you are. So as far as I’m aware, quite normal.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby Robdowsett » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:25 am

Exactly, its to assess tax liability. I also bank with Caixa and this year as i completed my UK Self Assessment Tax return there was a new 'Foreign Income' section added to my return form. This section asked me to declare and overseas income from any source including property rental. I have no income in Spain so i removed the section in the normal way and i got a disclaimer warning screen that HMRC now collaborates with international tax authorities so you must declare all income to avoid tax evasion actions in the UK (Assuming you are not Spanish resident). I would imagine that the UK NI number is the information that links all this data together and it would appear that the banks are sharing that with other interested parties such as HMRC. This just my thoughts on the topic, hope it helps.
Robdowsett

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby shap » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:23 pm

Thank you for your replies and comments. I was wondering if the Spanish were trying to also tax us on any income in Uk. But it seems from what you say, that it is normal procedure. Thanks again
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Ov3rdal3 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:47 pm

Our bank has asked for this type of information for years, I never provide it, I get lots of threats but no follow through
Ov3rdal3

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Postby Bee » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:12 pm

The Banks are obliged under money laundering legislation to verify all customer account holders. As you know your National Insurance No is how you are tagged by Revenue. Spain is obliged to report details of all non-resident account holders under EU Regulations.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Shiva » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:14 pm

Yes your NI number is basically your UK tax identifier. Banks are obliged to record it as you are saying you are non resident so the authorities can check your declared tax status and that you are paying tax elsewhere. That's all.
Shiva