Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Best logs to burn on log

Best logs to burn on log

Postby Climate Control » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:10 pm

Hello I need advice please which is the best logs to buy for a log burner??
Climate Control

Which part of Spain are you from?: QUESADA

Re: Best logs to burn on log

Postby jpeg » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:13 pm

Orange and Lemon to start the fire then Hardwoods like Oak and Almond to keep it going all night
Keep away from Pine as the sap will clog the flue
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Climate Control » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:16 pm

Thank you
Climate Control

Which part of Spain are you from?: QUESADA

Postby spanishmickey » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:38 pm

Please consider your neighbours. The smoke from log burning fires contains millions of tiny particles that are harmful to your health, especially if you are asthmatic and/or suffer from breathing problems. This is why they are banned completely in some areas of the world and a minimum distance of 800 yards is required from the nearest populated area in others. It is made worse by the stupid chimneys over here that point directly down onto your neighbour's properties. I know how lovely they look and the lovely feeling they give you, but please consider others.
spanishmickey

Which part of Spain are you from?: rojales

Postby Chrisdee » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:44 pm

When you have a big house to heat you dont always have much of a choice

spanishmickey wrote:Please consider your neighbours. The smoke from log burning fires contains millions of tiny particles that are harmful to your health, especially if you are asthmatic and/or suffer from breathing problems. This is why they are banned completely in some areas of the world and a minimum distance of 800 yards is required from the nearest populated area in others. It is made worse by the stupid chimneys over here that point directly down onto your neighbour's properties. I know how lovely they look and the lovely feeling they give you, but please consider others.
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Darro » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:54 pm

No doubt spanishmickey's retort to that would be to move to a smaller one!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Gustav » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:19 pm

spanishmickey wrote:Please consider your neighbours. The smoke from log burning fires contains millions of tiny particles that are harmful to your health, especially if you are asthmatic and/or suffer from breathing problems. This is why they are banned completely in some areas of the world and a minimum distance of 800 yards is required from the nearest populated area in others. It is made worse by the stupid chimneys over here that point directly down onto your neighbour's properties. I know how lovely they look and the lovely feeling they give you, but please consider others.

Not all log burners,
Look on DEFRAs site.
Never seen a chimney that points downwards,
That would be pointless
It wouldn't work,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby fireroute » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:30 pm

You really should burn dry wood,hot that has been stacked for one year, that way the particals are all burned off.
When you have a fire going and damper down for secondary combustion go outside to see if there is smoke leaving the flue. If there is smoke blue or white that means the wood is not ready to burn yet.
Clear exhaust means complete combustion.
fireroute

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby willemite » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:28 am

CHIMNEY/FLUE SWEEP

I recommend Annual professional Chimney sweep is essential.
It’s always advisable to ensure this is undertaken, for your safety as well as ensuring no problems arise.

We have ours done by Sooty, chimney sweep
+34 660 478 881. Father and son business.
English and Spanish spoken.

Excellent service, clean, efficient, licensed.
You receive a guarantee it has been inspected. Useful for household insurance.

Cost 85e
Very impressed with their work, not a speck of dirt.

When requesting appointment it’s helpful if it’s your first time to send photo and make of burner. They come from Murcia so usually like to have at least 5 properties to visit in your area - makes sense due to distance they travel.

Also best to move furniture facing chimney area so they have a good run to install their rods - and rugs in area.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral