Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Opening of first Spanish bank account

Opening of first Spanish bank account

Postby Luckjockey » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:03 am

Hi. Looking to open my first account in Spain. No NIE yet, however, I will have it next week. Apart from that, can anyone share their best experiences in opening an account either online, or on the high street?

What banks to avoid?
Best bank to deal with?
Easiest to pay in from UK?
No hassle…….

Thanks in advance.
Luckjockey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Opening of first Spanish bank account

Postby Bee » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:46 pm

Don't go to the expense unless you are going to be a resident and even then use an online one. Spanish bank account charges are steep.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Gladys Street » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 pm

Personally I wouldnt open a spanish account. Lots of people are switching to Wise because its far cheaper than the spanish banks and less hassle. You can do all your banking from the UK with a Wise account. No fees except the £7 charge for the direct debit card. Top up via your normal uk account and convert into euros at a great exchange rate. Better than what the rip off banks charge. Then set up your direct debits from the uk such as electricity, water SUMA fees, community fees etc. Far less hassle.
Gladys Street

Which part of Spain are you from?: Cabo Roig

Postby Luckjockey » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:05 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-thankyouyellow:
Luckjockey

Postby Kenny1309 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:14 pm

Don’t open a Spanish bank account get a Wise account and pay your dd via them
Kenny1309

Postby daz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 pm

There are several Spanish accounts that operate fee free for non res, operate just as a U.K. bank account does, free withdrawals, free debit card, free DD’s set up etc ..... but they have one or maybe two hoops to jump through to get it. Usually nothing major, but just be aware of these conditions, and you pick an account that suits the needs you can easily cope with. Ive had one for several years and no issues or fees at all. The only condition I recommend is you visit one or two different branches, ask them how to have an account with no fees and they will tell you. It’s more simple than many would have you believe.
One other point is, to keep any fees to a minimum, use “wise” to transfer your cash over to it each month, this offers some of the best exchange rates with minimal fees to boot. All in all, bank account and wise transfers, keeps all fees as cheap as you could possibly get. So do some leg work, you won’t be disappointed. Good luck.
daz

Which part of Spain are you from?: Entre Naranjos

Postby 300TDi » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:55 pm

You can get a free bank account with BBVA. I have one, purely used for the odd Spanish company that insists on Spanish IBAn and who I cannot be arsed arguiing about SEPA with. Plus, and the main reason, I can withdraw money for free from BBVA ATMs,.. You need cash more in Spain than in the UK typically, many smaller places dont take card.
300TDi

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rafal

Postby MacinSpain » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 am

daz wrote:There are several Spanish accounts that operate fee free for non res, operate just as a U.K. bank account does, free withdrawals, free debit card, free DD’s set up etc ..... but they have one or maybe two hoops to jump through to get it. Usually nothing major, but just be aware of these conditions, and you pick an account that suits the needs you can easily cope with. Ive had one for several years and no issues or fees at all. The only condition I recommend is you visit one or two different branches, ask them how to have an account with no fees and they will tell you. It’s more simple than many would have you believe.
One other point is, to keep any fees to a minimum, use “wise” to transfer your cash over to it each month, this offers some of the best exchange rates with minimal fees to boot. All in all, bank account and wise transfers, keeps all fees as cheap as you could possibly get. So do some leg work, you won’t be disappointed. Good luck.

Good advice but you haven't said which bank you've been with that doesn't charge fees if you share the name of your bank it might help
MacinSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby suzi wong » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:17 pm

Just open a wise account as has already been said above,it does everything you need for d/debit payments & euro transfers.If you want to draw cash open a UK Santander edge account,you can spend on it fee free & draw cash at a Santander bank atm in Spain for free at the normal exchange rates as long as you press the button for no conversion.If you search on the forum there are lots of posts.Good luck.
suzi wong

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar 11