Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Nice little quake for the weekend

Re: Nice little quake for the weekend

Postby Bee » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:47 am

A woman from an area in Peru subject to earthquakes told me from an early age they were told to stand a table on its end and get underneath it. If you live in a high rise block of flats the outside could be a long way down. As Martin says all we get are lots of little tremors so no need to worry quite yet. If I remember down Murcia way they got a 4 some years ago.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:33 am

I feel a little better and more reassured now. So, we race out of the house, stand in the middle of the road and hopefully don’t get run over by a car!!

Earthquakes must frighten most people. I’m in bed in my daughter’s home built on a hill overlooking the whole countryside and it’s so peaceful and tranquil. Everyone is up and dressed apart for lazy old me. Looking forward to being in Torrevieja this week and seeing a blue sky. The colour of the sky here is a very pale dove grey with a very low lying cloud resting on a hill in the distance. Snow has all melted and gone finally and the green fields and barren trees all look sleepy and still everywhere I look.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Mickey Braw » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 am

Adey wrote:
Mickey Braw wrote:
Adey wrote:http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal/ultimos-terremotos/-/ultimos-terremotos/getDetails?evid=es2024bipdh&zona=1

Could you tell me what’s “nice” about an earthquake?

If people are frightened about earthquakes, then Southern Spain is probably not the place they should be living in.

https://visualizadores.ign.es/tproximos/

Click on the link, then click on " 30 Days " that gives you every earthquake on Spanish territory for the past four weeks, it's not far off a thousand, then click on " PGA475 Danger " on the same page, that shows you every fault line in Spain.

Safest places in Spain are Asturias and Cantabria, they rarely get any earthquakes.

The fact is that many people find earthquakes to be quite distressing.
Why would you describe an earthquake as “nice”, is it to portray yourself as some sort of macho man who can dismiss such an event as being enjoyable.
Nice is a ridiculous word to associate with an earth tremor.
Even a relatively mild quake can bring devastation to an area if it hits directly below a town.
I refer you to Lorca 2011.
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:52 am

One of the smaller ones cracked our swimming pool steps and it makes you wonder what it does to the underground pipework, no wonder we get leaks
Chrisdee

Postby Mac3blade » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:57 pm

I don’t think the poster was intending to make light of any earthquake. I was taught many years ago that there was no true meaning for the word Nice. “That was a nice thing to say or do” means that it was anything but nice. Think about it. Think they meant, here we go again.

I do feel that we tend to take offence far too easily on this forum and offend too. We are fortunate enough to have a platform to connect with other English speaking people in Spain and I can’t imagine not having it. Our fellow members are so good at offering help and advice and sometimes a little lighthearted banter too.
Mac3blade

Postby Philipb1407 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:15 pm

A few years ago, 5 or 6, I was in the pool and my wife was in the villa, we had never seen or been in an earthquake before. When suddenly there was a loud crack or bang, it felt like the whole villa and land it’s on lifted 1 foot in the air and went back as fast as a blink of the eye, my wife came out of the villa like she was winning a 100 metre sprint. Jesus she said what was that, I was hanging on to the steel hand rail getting out of the pool. I thought a bomb had gone off, a few hours later we heard on the radio that there had been a small earthquake. I don’t think I’d like to be in a big earthquake if that was a small one. I can see why people are worried or frightened while in one. It is quite a scary thing.
Philipb1407

Postby Gustav » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:24 pm

Mac3blade wrote:I don’t think the poster was intending to make light of any earthquake. I was taught many years ago that there was no true meaning for the word Nice. “That was a nice thing to say or do” means that it was anything but nice. Think about it. Think they meant, here we go again.

I do feel that we tend to take offence far too easily on this forum and offend too. We are fortunate enough to have a platform to connect with other English speaking people in Spain and I can’t imagine not having it. Our fellow members are so good at offering help and advice and sometimes a little lighthearted banter too.

Theres biscuits called "NICE",
Ok Rosemary ,
What's going down at the "Plantation"
Regarding the immigrants being shipped in is it still bad news for Ireland?
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:28 pm

Gosh, I’ve never heard of this news so I’m no position to comment. Think we’ll ask Bee! If there’s any recent information , she’ll know.
Mac3blade

Postby Mac3blade » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:47 pm

Back again!
Just googled in the hope of finding anything about this and yes, it’s there in black and white. It seems that there are too many immigrants in Dublin so the government have decided to divert immigrants to small villages and towns.
I can’t imagine that this will be welcomed as I’ve read that the rural areas are not swamped with drugs… totally unheard of years ago. In my opinion, this is a terrible move and difficult for the local people who have seen little or no change in their towns since birth.
Sweden has been inundated with immigrants and a great deal of anger is now being displayed by the Swedes.
We don’t like change. That’s the problem. People don’t take kindly to change.
I haven’t lived in the Rep.of Ireland since I got married almost 50 years ago. Life in those days was simple and carefree. Everyone knew everyone else and if you didn’t actually know them, a friend or neighbour would. Yes, towns and communities have grown but believe me, people still know their neighbours. That will change if these plans go ahead. I hope and pray that it works out and the new people are welcomed with open arms. We all need to extend the hand of friendship
Mac3blade

Postby Steve wilkins » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:09 pm

The kalgeri plan in full swing in ireland then as well it seems. It's happening in all the western world. Recently in America, biden has been shipping them from the US/mexican border to new york and elsewhere. It's so extreme that the texas government ordered the national guard to secure the boarder and protect the sovereignty of the US. Biden threatened to fine and jail the national guard for doing their job. The making of civil war 2 it seems. And that's in addition to the law 2.13 which new york has implemented. If you haven't heard of it I suggest you look it up. Total tyranny, courtesy of convid. The tin foil hat wearers have been warning about this for years, and now here we are.

Not sure what this has to do with earthquakes, but there you go. I suppose the earth will be moving this year in more ways than one.
Steve wilkins

Previous