Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Nice little quake for the weekend

Nice little quake for the weekend

Postby Adey » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:40 pm

Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Re: Nice little quake for the weekend

Postby Bee » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:27 am

They seem to like Los Montesinos area at the moment.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Mickey Braw » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:35 am

Adey wrote:http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal/ultimos-terremotos/-/ultimos-terremotos/getDetails?evid=es2024bipdh&zona=1

Could you tell me what’s “nice” about an earthquake?
Mickey Braw

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Mac3blade » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:48 am

I’ve never felt an Earthquake and hope I never do as it puts the fear of God into me. How frightening is it? The fact the Torrevieja was destroyed in the early 1900’s makes me wonder how likely it is that it erupts again. If a massive Earthquake was detected , would everyone be alerted and warned to vacate or would the detection be during the eruption? Not anything I’d ever want to experience.
Mac3blade

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torreblanca

Postby Adey » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:05 am

Mickey Braw wrote:
Adey wrote:http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal/ultimos-terremotos/-/ultimos-terremotos/getDetails?evid=es2024bipdh&zona=1

If people are frightened about earthquakes, then Southern Spain is probably not the place they should be living in.

https://visualizadores.ign.es/tproximos/

Click on the link, then click on " 30 Days " that gives you every earthquake on Spanish territory for the past four weeks, it's not far off a thousand, then click on " PGA475 Danger " on the same page, that shows you every fault line in Spain.

Safest places in Spain are Asturias and Cantabria, they rarely get any earthquakes.
Adey

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby cheflady » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:14 pm

When we lived in Kalamaki Zante we experienced a 7.2 magnitude earthquake luckily the eye was in the ocean and many moons ago Zante was totally flattened! We were petrified and we didn't know what to do stay in the flat or get out everything fell out of the cupboards kids screaming and crying it was crazy, but the community pulled together which was brilliant!
cheflady

Postby Bee » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:31 pm

I have witnessed 2 in Torrevieja R. They are so minor that you don't registered that its happened. The first time the ceiling light which is one of those 6 armed ones with shades and jangly bits suddenly shook and again it was as if everything swayed for a split second. Second time we were sitting on the balcony and again there was a rumble and everything
shook and swayed for a split second.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby AnnetteD » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:42 pm

cheflady wrote:When we lived in Kalamaki Zante we experienced a 7.2 magnitude earthquake luckily the eye was in the ocean and many moons ago Zante was totally flattened! We were petrified and we didn't know what to do stay in the flat or get out everything fell out of the cupboards kids screaming and crying it was crazy, but the community pulled together which was brilliant!

I was in Kalamaki in 1989 and remember being sat outside a restaurant when there was an earthquake, no idea what magnitude it was, nothing bad enough to flatten buildings but we had to grab the table to stop it spilling our food. That was scarier than any I’ve felt in Spain.
AnnetteD

Which part of Spain are you from?: La Fiesta, Quesada

Postby Martin the artist » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:06 am

Mickey Braw wrote:

The fact we do have several small quakes is reassuring as it means the tectonic plates slowly slip rather than build up for a large devastating one.
Usually we hardly feel anything, just hear what sounds & feels like a lorry going by outside.
Been here 17 years and only once had something fall off the shelf.
But it is as well to know what to do in event of earthquake which is:-
If possible get out of the house as soon as possible.... If you can't, get to an outside wall and crouch down on the floor beside it, so that if the worst did happen you would hopefully be in the 'triangle of life.'
Martin the artist

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby prefect » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:16 am

prefect

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales/Quesada

Next