Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Warning - painkiller Nolotil available in Spain.

Warning - painkiller Nolotil available in Spain.

Postby shap » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:23 am

Apologies if this has been covered before but I read this in the Guardian and thought I would bring it to readers attention. Tragic side effects of painkiller which apparently is available in Spain

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... SApp_Other
shap

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Re: Warning - painkiller Nolotil available in Spain.

Postby Paul M » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:38 am

Dreadful story! Nolotil used to be the ‘go-to’ painkiller but not sure that’s still the case. We always make a point of naming it whenever we’re asked about any allergies.

Anyone from anywhere in Northern Europe should take note of the name Nolotil and avoid at all costs!
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Chrisdee » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 am

I wonder what it is that they give you in the injection, in for the bum for quick pain relief
Chrisdee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Darro » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:30 pm

It's an old story and over the years numerous other cases have hit the press but raising awareness is never a bad thing.

Because it's widely known about it still amazes me that many people working in the health sector, and potentially involved in administering it, still seem blissfully unaware of the risks.

I have small label affixed to my SIP card simply saying NO NOLOTIL!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:03 pm

Darro wrote:It's an old story and over the years numerous other cases have hit the press but raising awareness is never a bad thing.

Because it's widely known about it still amazes me that many people working in the health sector, and potentially involved in administering it, still seem blissfully unaware of the risks.

I have small label affixed to my SIP card simply saying NO NOLOTIL!

What a great Idea......will do the same
Jabberwocky

Which part of Spain are you from?: Close to Torrevieja

Postby marcliff » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:46 pm

This has been known for some time and I think most GPs in Spain are now aware of it.
If you look back I posted this warning some 7 years ago on here. The GP my wife saw at Lo Marabu a while back actually told her she was not suitable for Nolotil to ease her oesophagitis and changed it to another medication.

It's also been in the national Spanish papers which points out the problems when prescribed to Northern Europeans.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Darro » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:13 pm

On the other hand a friend of mine was in Torre hospital not so long ago and they tried to give her not only a Nolotil drip for pain relief but also Nolotil tablets!

Fortunately, unlike the nurses who really should have known, she was aware of the risk and stopped it!

There was no question whatsoever that she was British.
Darro

Postby Sig » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:33 pm

The story in the Guardian is a very recent one. I have a note on my medical notes that I am allergic to Nolotil, and make sure that the doctors are aware.
Sig

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby Darro » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:34 am

The guy in the piece died on Oct 20th so why the Guardian has chosen now to report on it now who knows, the core story about Nolotil is not new at all which was my main point.

If you read the piece thoroughly you'll find this link to a report from 2009

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19457324/
Darro

Postby SharonSpain » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:06 am

I think the main reason is due to the campaign by Cristina Research Information. She has been collating information for over 6 years about Nolotil/Metamizole and its effect on (mainly) British people. I have copied the text from her Facebook page:
"I am the medical translator who alerted medical authorities about the effects of Nolotil/Metamizole on British people. I have collected hundreds of cases since Dec 2017. Follow my page and help me fund my campaign: https://gofund.me/c249defb"
SharonSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Next