Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

driving spanish car in the UK

Re: driving spanish car in the UK

Postby MacinSpain » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 am

bass2112 wrote:hi all hope someone can help. i am a non resident, own a property and have a Spanish registered car. i want to drive my car back to the UK so i can get some bits and pieces done to it, then drive it back probably a month or so later. i have been told i wouldn't be insured to drive it in the UK because of Brexit and not being a Spanish resident, so my spanish insurance would not be valid.

i have tried to get an answer from linier directa but they don't even seem to know. is this true and if so why?

thanks, bill.

Just ask linea directa to email you the green card for travel abroad, or go on line and down load it, very simple and yes you are insured for UK
MacinSpain

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby millies123 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 am

Jumping on this here can a Spanish resident drive a car with uk plates in the UK, we usually drive my granddaughter car when home, we have Spanish licence???
millies123

Which part of Spain are you from?: la Zenia

Postby marcliff » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 am

millies123 wrote:Jumping on this here can a Spanish resident drive a car with uk plates in the UK, we usually drive my granddaughter car when home, we have Spanish licence???

Yes, you can drive a UK reg car with a Spanish licence otherwise they wouldn't be able to hire cars out.

Just be careful on the insurance as it is named people in UK, not the car.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Paul M » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 am

Exactly as Marcliff says, you can drive your daughters car provided she adds you to her insurance. Most importantly, she has to declare you have a Spanish licence, this can sometimes be a bit of a stumbling block with some providers. Good luck
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Bee » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:18 am

I knew we had this before. Here is a post from 2018 on a similar request from an Irish Resident with a holiday home in Spain wanting to bring their Spanish Registered car back to Ireland to do what the OP on here wants to do. As far as I know the UK Customs & Excise are even more strict on time limits than than the Irish Customs and Exicise.

quesada-general-discussion-f9/driving-spanish-registered-car-in-south-of-ireland-t42541.html

Bee
Bee

Postby Philipb1407 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm

[]hi all hope someone can help. i am a non resident, own a property and have a Spanish registered car. i want to drive my car back to the UK so i can get some bits and pieces done to it, then drive it back probably a month or so later. i have been told i wouldn't be insured to drive it in the UK because of Brexit and not being a Spanish resident, so my spanish insurance would not be valid.

You can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it in the UK if
[*]you’re visiting and do not plan to live here
[*]the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
[*]you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total - this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months"

The customs notice that was put on here is correct for travellers entering the UK. On the above three points. The rest of the customs notice is for temporary imports or permanent imports, non of which apply in this case. As long as the car is insured and registered to your address in Europe, you may bring your own car to and from Europe at will subject to these three rules. And your vehicle has to be insured within Europe which through bilateral agreements includes the United Kingdom. A green card is not required. Look on your insurance, if you are not sure ask for a green card and they will print it off FOC which shows the UK.
Philipb1407

Postby bass2112 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:37 am

blimey, still confused and none the wiser. some say yes others say no, but it does look like its a NO. does anyone know who i could contact here in the UK to get a definitive answer, its driving me nuts :roll:
bass2112

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Bee » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am

HM Customs and Excise are the people who are responsible for what comes in and out at the border. I don't have a number for them. I am sure they will have a definite answer for you like the Irish Customs and Excise had for the Irish query.

Bee
Bee

Postby bass2112 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:48 am

Bee wrote:HM Customs and Excise are the people who are responsible for what comes in and out at the border. I don't have a number for them. I am sure they will have a definite answer for you like the Irish Customs and Excise had for the Irish query.

Bee

thanks bee i will give them a call.
bass2112

Postby bass2112 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:53 pm

just an update on this. i have just contacted UK customs & excise, told them my situation and what i want to do. they told me that i can bring my car to the uk for 6 months with no issue but the part of this rule that does not comply with me is, i don't reside in spain, i reside in the UK.
they have a team called `special car team`, the guy has referred them to me and they will give me the yes or no answer. he said in this circumstance something might be able to be agreed so i can bring the car back to UK for the work i want to do to it.
don't hold your breath, i will let you all the outcome once i hear back from them, which could take a couple of days, so i am told. fingers crossed :|
bass2112

PreviousNext