Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

driving spanish car in the UK

Re: driving spanish car in the UK

Postby Bee » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:07 pm

And presumably if they put something in place for you it will only be on an individual special request basis and you will probably be required to have paperwork at the port of entry to show that.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Paul58 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:06 pm

bass2112 wrote:just an update on this. i have just contacted UK customs & excise, told them my situation and what i want to do. they told me that i can bring my car to the uk for 6 months with no issue but the part of this rule that does not comply with me is, i don't reside in spain, i reside in the UK.
they have a team called `special car team`, the guy has referred them to me and they will give me the yes or no answer. he said in this circumstance something might be able to be agreed so i can bring the car back to UK for the work i want to do to it.
don't hold your breath, i will let you all the outcome once i hear back from them, which could take a couple of days, so i am told. fingers crossed :|

Do make sure that you get this in writing (email) with the name & department of the customs officer. The initial advice is correct that you da need to be resident in spain to temporarily import (drive) your Spanish car in the UK.

I do hope that you get the necessary permission, as this will be useful for other non resident Spanish car owners. Please let us know how you get on.
Paul58

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby bass2112 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Paul58 wrote:
bass2112 wrote:just an update on this. i have just contacted UK customs & excise, told them my situation and what i want to do. they told me that i can bring my car to the uk for 6 months with no issue but the part of this rule that does not comply with me is, i don't reside in spain, i reside in the UK.
they have a team called `special car team`, the guy has referred them to me and they will give me the yes or no answer. he said in this circumstance something might be able to be agreed so i can bring the car back to UK for the work i want to do to it.
don't hold your breath, i will let you all the outcome once i hear back from them, which could take a couple of days, so i am told. fingers crossed :|

Do make sure that you get this in writing (email) with the name & department of the customs officer. The initial advice is correct that you da need to be resident in spain to temporarily import (drive) your Spanish car in the UK.

I do hope that you get the necessary permission, as this will be useful for other non resident Spanish car owners. Please let us know how you get on.

Will do.
bass2112

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby Espanabums » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:31 am

Chrisdee wrote:Also, if you go into London and surrounding areas you need to register your car with the TFL, we didn't and got 4 fines totalling £3k despite our car being compliant, the system doesn't recognise foreign registrations and sends fines out automatically to your home address in Spain

Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens ‘wrongly fined for driving in London Ulez’ | TfL | The Guardian

Apparently the company TFL uses to collect drivers details have been doing so illegally, since Brexit only details for criminal offences may be shared, not civil offences like ELEZ fines.
Steve & Jill, Torrevieja
Espanabums

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja Centro

Postby bass2112 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:57 am

Espanabums wrote:
Chrisdee wrote:Also, if you go into London and surrounding areas you need to register your car with the TFL, we didn't and got 4 fines totalling £3k despite our car being compliant, the system doesn't recognise foreign registrations and sends fines out automatically to your home address in Spain

Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens ‘wrongly fined for driving in London Ulez’ | TfL | The Guardian

Apparently the company TFL uses to collect drivers details have been doing so illegally, since Brexit only details for criminal offences may be shared, not civil offences like ELEZ fines.

well i wouldn't be doing that, i only live 12 miles from the channel tunnel so a quick drive to my house, get the work done over a couple weeks, quick drive back.
but i will only be doing this if i get told by customs and excise its ok to do so.
bass2112

Postby Bee » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:13 pm

bass2112 did the customs people ever come back with an answer as to whether you can or cannot do a temporary import?

Bee
Bee

Postby bass2112 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:49 pm

Hi bee, nope not yet. I am going to call them again on Monday, what a shambles, terrible service. I will be tearing into them on Monday.
bass2112

Postby Bee » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:43 pm

Very disappointing for you but I would advise you to hold your fire. Be very diplomatic as you are asking for something which is outside the norm so don't give them any ammunition to refuse you.

Bee
Bee

Postby bass2112 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 pm

Yes I agree, so frustrating though.
bass2112

Postby Darro » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:36 am

Good you're not holding your breath, "special car team" or no I'm sure C&E already gave you your answer.

"i have just contacted UK customs & excise, told them my situation and what i want to do. they told me that i can bring my car to the uk for 6 months with no issue but the part of this rule that does not comply with me is, i don't reside in spain, i reside in the UK."

As you say your home in UK is only 12 miles from the tunnel your best and totally safe option is to have the garage which is going to do the work collect the car from there on a trailer and deliver it back when you're ready to return.

Sure beats risking having it confiscated!
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

PreviousNext