Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Spanish tax on overseas bank account

Spanish tax on overseas bank account

Postby Brewingdog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:30 pm

This is our first fiscal year for Spanish tax returns. We've been told that we have to declare any UK bank account with over 50 thousand in it on 31/12/2023. My question is, the money above 50,000, is it taxable and at what rate or is it the interest made on the money above 50,000. Any help would be great.
Brewingdog

Which part of Spain are you from?: Salford

Re: Spanish tax on overseas bank account

Postby Mart 63 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:40 pm

You don't pay tax on the amount, just the interest
Mart 63

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Brewingdog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. As I only have to produce the statement for the 31/12/2023, how would they know how much interest was paid. They also want the average amount in the account for the final 3 months of 2023. I can't see how they would work out the interest.
Brewingdog

Postby Darro » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:25 pm

Interest received needs to be declared as income on your annual tax return.

Note you do not have to declare sums held in cash in bank accounts, those you will presumably have paid tax on at some point, and tax is what it's all about.

You do however have to declare assets the total value of which exceed €50,000, those can include property, private pension funds, share portfolios, and the like.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Brewingdog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Thank you. We were confused as to how they would work out the interest on the account if they only wanted an end of year statement. But if they take into account that the tax has already been paid on it then it seems they just want to know what is in the account. As we have no overseas property that won't be an issue. My current sticking point is that I have a company pension which has already been taxed by HMRC. Not sure how that works out for Spanish tax.
Brewingdog

Postby marcliff » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:02 pm

d.
Last edited by marcliff on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Shiva » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Marcliff has explained well the basic points. Would just add that you also have to update the 720 every year if you open or close any Accounts, not only if the value changes by 20k. This is an excruciatingly complicated form if you have an asset mix. Best to get Help, though that of course incurs fees. At least they no longer impose punitivo charges if you get any bit of it wrong or forget to include that dormant account with 1p in it. ( thankyou EU Courts for making Spain see sense). But needs to be done by end March or there'll still be a fine.
Shiva

Postby Brewingdog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:13 pm

Thank you all. Really grateful for all the advice
Brewingdog

Postby billogs » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:36 pm

If you are paying tax on your company pension in the UK and it is not a government derived pension e. g. from the armed forces etc. Then you should not be taxed in the UK but paying it here. You will have a period of time where you are paying both and will need to apply to HMRC to stop paying UK tax. You can claim back the UK tax once you can prove that you are paying Spanish tax.
billogs

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada