Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Pneumococcal Vaccination

Pneumococcal Vaccination

Postby marcliff » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:47 pm

The Valencia Region started a massive vaccination programme for the pneumonia vaccine for all people over the age of 65 as the number of respiratory diseases have fallen drastically. People are being called by SMS to attend their medical centre.

Unfortunately, nobody bothered to tell the health centres about this. People have been turning up to get the vaccination to find there aren't any. Many have been sent away and asked to come back at a later date when stocks of the vaccine arrives.

They say there will be ample stocks starting next week and are now issuing appointments by the same method instead of just saying turn up and you will be given one.

I think if you are over 65 you get the initial vaccine and then a booster and those will last you for life. If you've had them previously, in UK or elsewhere, you should inform the health centre so they can update your records.

Children under 4 and those with underlying health problems will also be called forward.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Re: Pneumococcal Vaccination

Postby shemarg » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:50 pm

That’s good news Marcliiff. I asked my doctor October time if I could have this as it is 12 years since I had one in Uk and I’d had a near miss with pnuemonia after a chest infection a couple of years ago. Last year I was diagnosed as asthmatic and as I’m 72 and have diabetes type 2 thought it would be wise to hsve jt but my doctor said i didn’t qualify. I did wonder whst the criteria were I must say
shemarg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Golf. Quesada

Postby willemite » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:39 pm

Yes it’s very worthwhile having this injection, I received mine pre 2008 (not in Spain) and no side affects.
willemite

Which part of Spain are you from?: catral

Postby Mutton76 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:00 pm

I had one 10 years ago in UK but have just lost a lung through pneumonia, I enquired why and was told they are like the flu jab, many different varieties and they cover you for the most common one.
Mutton76

Which part of Spain are you from?: Los Montesinos

Postby Red Rock » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:01 pm

Thanks for the info I had never heard of this vacc.and Mutton sorry to hear this.
Red Rock

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Postby dragonlyn » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:49 am

Is this the flu vaccine or a different type as I used to have this after I had pneumonia when I lived in Jersey? Thank you.
dragonlyn

Which part of Spain are you from?: Alicante

Postby marcliff » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32 am

No it's not the flu vaccine, it's the pneumonia vaccine. Flu vaccine is annual, pneumonia or pneumococcal vaccine is a one session in a lifetime vaccine.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby mondo » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:47 am

Last time I had one I was told by the doc that it lasted five years...

But if I am offered another I would be happy to have it.
mondo

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benimar