Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Satellite TV ?

Satellite TV ?

Postby JohnES » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:11 am

I have an old satellite TV receiver that does not receive H.D channels. I have been getting messages about losing my BBC channels for months.
In the past week I have been getting a new message which says that I will lose all of a certain group of channels. I know that I can buy an H.D receiver but the problem is with the viewing card. One local company will sell me a new box but wants to charge 200 euros for the card which seems excessive. Another TV man says that I cannot upgrade my existing card to change to the new box or upgrade to H.D. Another message I have been getting says that if I ring a certain number I can upgrade to H.D for free.
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a new H.D box and upgrade my existing card. I have left out the name of the service deliberately.
JohnES

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Satellite TV ?

Postby LeeG » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:09 pm

I have satellite TV but have never had a viewing card. I just have the receiver. Have you tried to connect your tv directly to the satellite cable, assuming your tv has a built in decoder. You'll have a screw type connection on the tv if you have a decoder built-in.
LeeG

Which part of Spain are you from?: Formentera del Segur

Postby Paul - TV Techie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:21 pm

Freesat or free-to-air satellite does not require a viewing card.

1. As mentioned by Lee above - if you have a modern TV it may have an inbuilt DVBS2 satellite tuner - screw adapter on the back & should be HDMI sockets too.
2. If an older TV, no satellite tuner inbuilt, then as long as the TV gas HDMI socket, can use new HD satellite receiver.
3. Not mentioned - if you have a 1.4 metre offset dish, it may not have enough signal to get the new BBC HD's - this may require check review / LNB - but only worth reviewing if you have the rest of the equipment to receive the channels - TV/receiver.

Paul
www.televisiontechnology.eu
Paul - TV Techie

Which part of Spain are you from?: almoradi, alicante

Postby jpeg » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:04 pm

Most likely trying to get IPTV AND getting ripped off by the supplier
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby JohnES » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:30 am

I was hoping that readers could read between the lines and realise I was referring to a well known satellite programme provider without me naming them.
JohnES

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby jpeg » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 am

Why not name them ?
jpeg

Postby blingle » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am

jpeg wrote:Why not name them ?

Maybe because the OP feels it would be a slight against the named party, which would not be permitted under forum rules?
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Kingy0 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:04 pm

You sound as if you already have a satellite dish and an old 'Sly' box. You just need to get a new freesat receiver no need for any cards. The issue is which box do you want. In the UK no problems anything from £50 upwards. In Spain a little more difficult so expect to pay around 200 euros.
Kingy0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby Kingy0 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:07 pm

As an update I have just looked on FB marketplace and there are a number of second hand and new Freesat boxes advertised.
Kingy0

Which part of Spain are you from?: Villamartin

Postby jpeg » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:20 pm

Kingy0 wrote:You sound as if you already have a satellite dish and an old 'Sly' box. You just need to get a new freesat receiver no need for any cards. The issue is which box do you want. In the UK no problems anything from £50 upwards. In Spain a little more difficult so expect to pay around 200 euros.

No need to pay 200 I tuned in a 6 euro box last week and it gets all the UK channels in HD
And you can buy a New Manhatten Sat Bax for 60 pounds at Argo in UK anf just bring it over to Spain
jpeg