Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Upgrading property security

If you have had good service and would like to recommend a reputable Company or a Tradesman or woman, please do so here.

Upgrading property security

Postby AP_90 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:12 pm

Hi all!
Husband and I are new to the group as we have just bought a property in Rojales as our holiday home.
We’re currently looking at what safety/security things we need to upgrade in the property and we are looking for company recommendations for the following:
-New Lockable escape window grilles
-Best security system that we can access when we’re back home in the uk (and the rules around cameras etc as I’ve read they need to be registered?) - are Ring (or similar) doorbell cameras popular in Spain?
-locksmiths to change door locks
-safes. Do you buy these and install yourselves or is there a company that can fit one?
-new heavy duty lock and key garden gates

If there is anything you think we may have overlooked then please do advise!

Thanks!
AP_90

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Re: Upgrading property security

Postby jpeg » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:47 pm

.contact Paul Figg of B-Sure alarms...Paul is a local man and his number is on this site at the Tradesmans page. Paul is well respected and trustworthy.
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Paul M » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:23 pm

Second that, BeSure are excellent
Paul M

Which part of Spain are you from?: Pueblo Bravo

Postby Gustav » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:57 pm

Yes,Paul& Matthew efficient and trustworthy,
Gustav

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Swerve » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Besure Alarms
Swerve

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Pepin

Postby OGM » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:09 pm

Ring are a waste of time. So they show you someone breaking into your property, but what you gonna do? You're in the UK, not in Spain. You need a monitored system that will attend when you can't. I have had a Securitas Direct system fitted at my place and been very happy with the system and service. Simple things like good quality locks and security grilles on all doors and windows, Timers for a few lights in the house. You cannot ever make it burglar proof, you just have to make it less inviting than your neighbours house.
OGM

Postby AP_90 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:25 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations.
I was only enquiring about ring as I’m not sure if cctv cameras are all equipped with motion detection. On our property here in the uk we have full house cctv but it is not motion detection equipped so we have a ring doorbell to alert us of movement outside the property then we can review the cctv if necessary. I’m sure when we speak to an alarm/cctv company they will inform us further on all features of the products we’re after.
The thing is what is the protocol if we were unlucky enough to be broken into? It alerts the relevant authorities, but what happens then if thieves have already been and gone? How do we secure the property if we are back in the uk? We don’t have anyone in Spain / know anyone that could be a key holder for us.
Sorry if I sound really naive, this is our first holiday home overseas and we’re just trying to cover all bases!
AP_90

Postby OGM » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:06 am

AP_90 wrote:Thank you all for the recommendations.
I was only enquiring about ring as I’m not sure if cctv cameras are all equipped with motion detection. On our property here in the uk we have full house cctv but it is not motion detection equipped so we have a ring doorbell to alert us of movement outside the property then we can review the cctv if necessary. I’m sure when we speak to an alarm/cctv company they will inform us further on all features of the products we’re after.
The thing is what is the protocol if we were unlucky enough to be broken into? It alerts the relevant authorities, but what happens then if thieves have already been and gone? How do we secure the property if we are back in the uk? We don’t have anyone in Spain / know anyone that could be a key holder for us.
Sorry if I sound really naive, this is our first holiday home overseas and we’re just trying to cover all bases!

I was unfortunate enough to have a break in at the property we bought. Bought the property needing work. Dropped off materials, tools, etc at the property. All windows had Rejas on them, but not doors. I had a local company fit these. Came back out a fortnight later with my brother to do the work and thieves had entered through the back door after busting lock on rejas and then back door. Basically stole everything small enough to carry and sell on. I think opportunists suddenly saw increased security, but no one there and tried it on. We are a bit remote, our nearest neighbour is 200 m away. There is no street lighting. My actions were to get a Securitas direct system fitted, which has 24 hour monitoring. If an alarm is triggered, either by a door or window sensor or one of 3 internal cameras I had fitted. I also had 2 Arlo cameras fitted as part of the system, each covering the front gate and vehicle access gate. You get alerts direct to your phone and can talk via the camera. They call your phone from a 24 hrs/365days a year monitored control centre, if you don't answer or fail to give the correct passwords, they contact the Guardia and have there own people to send out. You get notifications if power goes down on the app, the system has its own 4G connection, it doesn't rely on your internet. If it loses contact as someone is trying to jam it, it alerts the control room. I have had 3 calls, all caused by me, either not cancelling system fast enough on entry to the property and another time I decided to move a monitoring device from one room to another. Calls came in within 30 seconds. I'm sure other companies offer similar services, but this is who I went with. I then fitted 3 external PTV cameras myself. These are linked to my internet. Accessed with an app on my phone. They record any trigger, record it to memory and send an alert to the app. You can view recording or go straight to live view, again you can talk via a speaker or trigger a siren and strobe light. These cover 360 degrees all round property, before anyone would get near to break in. The whole property is now fitted with solar powered security lights, set to come on at constant low level at dusk, but go full brightness if movement is detected. I think I've covered as much as reasonably possible, but if someone really wants in, they will get in. As I said in my earlier reply, just make your property unappealing to the thief and they will move on to somewhere else.
OGM

Postby pedrosloggett » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:38 am

You will find that Securitas Direct are probably the most popular alarm company certainly in this area. That must say something about the protection and security offered. They also have movement sensors for the garden if you need them. Having had them for 12 years I can only agree with OGM on the service and efficiency. It would probably be a good idea to have somebody in the area hold a key and if you don't know anyone there are companies that will do this for you.
pedrosloggett

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Paul58 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm

AP_90 wrote:Thank you all for the recommendations.

Will you have Wifi in your property, even when you're back in the UK? If so, I would recommend using wireless IP cameras. We use Tapo cameras which use Wifi to notify you, via your mobile phone, of any incidents.

We use these ...https://www.amazon.es/TP-Link-TAPO-C210-VIgilancia-Bidireccional/dp/B095CLQ1PT?tag=tqses-21
which can also link with Alexa to provide noises such as a barking dog or other sound deterrents.

They will detect noise, motion and have AI detection to video an intruder as they move around. For a small subscription you can also store all video footage in the cloud to use as evidence. We just use the notification which is free and have "Alert cops" app on our phone.

Alarms & cameras are all well & good but you can't beat good neighbours, especially ones that are resident. Do make the effort to introduce yourselves and let them know when you are away.
Paul58

Next