Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

ID, Required

ID, Required

Postby faolteam » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm

Just a bit of advice to anyone booking in to Any Accommodation unless Ur Spanish, so if u have a Spanish Driving license Ur fine , But an Irish Driving License even though Ur in The EU is not good enough it's a Passport and nothing Photocopied , The Hotels etc will inform u of everything but,but most Do not include this in your itinerary folks, Be Warned , so just be Aware of this
faolteam

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Re: ID, Required

Postby Darro » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:03 pm

Most if not all other EU countries utilise ID cards which would generally be acceptable as proof of ID in lieu of a passport, I doubt for even a Spanish person a driving licence alone would suffice.

Many EU citizens do not even possess a passport, if they've never wanted to venture outside of the EU they wouldn't need one, but presumably they seem manage to book accommodation when travelling.

I suppose the question here is if you're Irish why would you be in Spain without your passport, in fact how would you even get here without it?
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby faolteam » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:55 pm

Spanish driving licences as i said are acceotable, my Argument was that we're in the EU it ls an EU driving licence , whether I'm from the moon I can check in anywhere never have been asked for a passport, and i have an apartment in Spain so was just going up for a few days left it there , it's alright I'm not a Gangland person
faolteam

Postby Bee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:56 am

I think by law hotels must request and register your passport/id card details. It is not just Spain. The regulations for those letting their properties as holiday lets require you to register Passport/ID card with the Guardia.

Bee
Bee

Postby faolteam » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:34 am

I checked in two different hotels in Ireland and I Scotland not once was I asked for id or even when I was in Madrid a few years ago, but Still don't understand the Driving Licence bit if we're in the EU.
faolteam

Postby Darro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:52 am

faolteam wrote:i have an apartment in Spain so was just going up for a few days left it there.
As a foreigner you are required to carry your passport at all times as nothing else is definitive proof of ID.

The above holds true for EU citizens plus non EU but Spanish resident with a TIE and Spanish driving licence.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby MacinSpain » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:08 am

faolteam wrote:Spanish driving licences as i said are acceotable, my Argument was that we're in the EU it ls an EU driving licence , whether I'm from the moon I can check in anywhere never have been asked for a passport, and i have an apartment in Spain so was just going up for a few days left it there , it's alright I'm not a Gangland person

If you book into a hotel and your a UK passport holder but have residency your residency card will suffice
MacinSpain

Postby faolteam » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:11 am

Welcome to Spain I guess , Totally OTT, in fact if I go to a show tonight I have to bro g my passport to get in , Here endeth the lesson, Even Mr O'Leary ain't that bad
faolteam

Postby Graham_Lynn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:27 am

faolteam wrote:Welcome to Spain I guess , Totally OTT, in fact if I go to a show tonight I have to bro g my passport to get in , Here endeth the lesson, Even Mr O'Leary ain't that bad

Before I moved to Spain and bought tickets to the theatre, concerts etc, most of them at sometime were printed with a disclaimer that either proof of ID. could be requested.
I think it was brought in because of people trying to resell tickets at an inflated cost.
I can only recall one occasion when I was asked to show ID, but had to carry it just in case.

But faolteam having to show your passport to get into a show tonight, isn’t a problem, because by law you will be carrying it with you wherever you go.
Every hotel outside of the UK has asked for my passport details on check in, including the Spanish ones. They request to see a travel document, which of course a driving licence will not fall into that category. That’s why here in Spain as a resident they will sometimes (not always) take a copy of my TIE, but if I travel outside of Spain, then it’s definitely my passport details required for hotel etc.
Graham_Lynn

Which part of Spain are you from?: El Raso

Postby costalad » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:45 pm

The law in spain requires that a non eu person should carry their passport at all times even as official proof of id even if you have a tie but often it is not enforced
costalad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Albatera