Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Swimming Pool Advice

Swimming Pool Advice

Postby memry » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Hi

Having recently moved properties and inherited a pool, I wonder if those kind people with their own pool could offer some advice ?

For an average size pool,how many times should the pump operate within a 24 hour period ( I think we counted four). Does the pump need to run for a few hours,or just one or two hours maximum at a time ?

Has anyone experienced some air bubbles passing through the jets,is this a normal occurrence or perhaps linked to pool water height ? To be honest I'm not really sure what optimum height should be, perhaps just below the top or possibly a little lower ?

Would it be a good idea to employ a pool service company,or can the the chlorine/PH levels/ cleaning etc etc be undertaken easily enough by an enthusiastic amateur while they gain experience ?

Thank you in advance for any views,they will be gratefully accepted.
memry

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: Swimming Pool Advice

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:18 pm

The pool level needs to be half covering your flap at the debris collector end of the pool. In this will be a basket to collect the floating debris. Generally there is a screw cap on the jet outlets, this when loose allows you to position the jets. You need one pointing slightly upwards so the water Is disturbed on the surface at about a metre into the pool pointing to the other end of the pool the second pointing slightly down so it creates a swirling affect. My pool is on for 4 hours per day 9-11 3-5 as it gets lighter this is increased to 6 hours per day 8-11 3-6 then in mid summer 6-10 2-5 7-10 a block of chlorine is put in every time one has fully dissolved about 2 per 6 weeks. I have a cleaner 1 per week in winter 2 per week summer, but if I was there full time I’d do it myself.
if you are there full time it’s easy to clean yourself, you can go into the pool shop and they will tell you what to do or you can watch a video on youtube. If you have a Copil pool, they will show you in the showroom what you need to do.. it’s not hard and should only take you 20 mins tops.
Others may have different opinions and experiences, but it costs nothing to ask..
Philipb1407

Postby traceracing » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 am

Sound advice above. Each pool has it's own characteristics based on water quality, amount od debris getting into it etc. Invest in a chemical test kit (under 10E) and look at what (if any) Ph/Clorine etc are out of range and fix those before swimming. Youtuube has loads of good info on pool maintenance.
traceracing

Postby Philipb1407 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:22 am

One other thing to mention, there are lots of companies doing pool cleaning, you have to take care. Some really do not know what they are doing or do know and cause damage to your equipment or pool, or find problems that are not real, the6 always know someone who can do the “repair” check out their customers, to see how many repairs they say it needs, and your pool does not need re-grouting as often as they say, some use white cement, this disintegrates very quickly, you need proper waterproof pool grout, one pool cleaning company burned out my underground power cable, cost me a lot of money to replace it.
Mine is a copil pool, for repairs and structure maintenance I use them now, it works out very cost effective and their guarantees are good. Plus they are quick and clean. With Copil a new pump is new not refurbished, you have to be aware of the scammers. Look after your pool and over time you will save a lot of money. Remember natural evaporation can take a lot of water out of the pool, you do not necessarily have a leak, I found Copil are honest and reliable. Never take one persons word for it and get a second opinion. Your second opinion is best to come from a manufacturer or pool shop.
Philipb1407

Postby pedrosloggett » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 am

If you google 'My Pool Guru' you will find the most comprehensive guide to pools I have seen. Everything from building a pool to what to do if it goes green.
With regular but brief attention you should be able to take care of things yourself. Good luck.
pedrosloggett

Postby memry » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:58 am

Hi all.

Thank you so much for your kind and informative advice,it's really appreciated.

There are certainly some very clued-up people on this forum,as I hoped there would be.

Thank you again. :)
memry

Postby hobnob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Hi all... just a little advice...it is helpful in respect of the longevity of your Skimmer pipe work that chlorine tablets are placed in a pool floater rather that in the actual skimmer basket...just my experience over many years in the pool cleaning business.
hobnob

Which part of Spain are you from?: benijofar

Postby sarnia cherie » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:41 pm

See if one of your friends or neighbours has a pool cleaner and see if they will come to you and go over everything with you. Eg. All the valves,controls for filter,backwashing,brushing,hoovering etc.. Water testing and chemicals. We had a lovely man who came round a couple of times and told us what to do and what chemicals to use and where to get them. Unfortunately he was not well and returned to the UK. Since then we do the pool ourselves. Not a lot of work as long as you keep on top of it.
sarnia cherie

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo pepin

Postby Philipb1407 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Looking on my cameras today, the sky was blue, it looked great in ciudad Quesada, I could just imagine being in my pool…..
I’m buying a new wet suit so I can go swimming in my pool anytime of the year…
Philipb1407