Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

CCTV laws

CCTV laws

Postby Mac davies » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:54 pm

Hi All
After being burgled the other week my 2 neighbours and I want to put up some more cctv cameras that cover our small cul de sac, (only 3 properties here)at present it covers some of our property but not much of the approach road due to the trees,
I have put a picture of the road in question for your comments/thoughts.

Many thanks.
Mac davies

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Re: CCTV laws

Postby OGM » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:17 pm

Just put it up. It’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission
OGM

Postby Philipb1407 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:22 pm

If all three agree, put it in writing, all sign it, each have an original signed copy., put up the cameras and put up the sign saying cameras be aware in Spanish, put it at the entry.
That’s it you’re free to go.
Philipb1407

Postby Gasgit » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:08 pm

I’m told cctv is illegal in Spain but what the heck I have a ring doorbell, shows the odd dodgy person up, if I’m about I just hello to them
Gasgit

Which part of Spain are you from?: Playa Flamenca

Postby Barry martyn » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm

the law is an ass .

if you all agree l would put it up .
if you have nothing to hide why would a passerby worry , but then where you are you wont have passers by. lest there in swimsuits
Barry martyn

Postby Philipb1407 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:16 pm

Gasgit wrote:I’m told cctv is illegal in Spain but what the heck I have a ring doorbell, shows the odd dodgy person up, if I’m about I just hello to them

I’d be surprised if cctv is illegal in Spain, I have 6 cameras in total, 5 outside and 1 inside facing the front door. The cameras that show into neighbours property, I showed them and asked if they wanted me to block their land, as it covered their cars and front gates and did not capture any area that might show them relaxing or sunbathing, they were happy for the cameras to be on. In one case it caught offenders who came into my neighbours and our yards.
Sending the footage to my neighbour who is a native Spaniard, he reported it to the police and sent out the footage to everyone he knows. He also put extra measures in place to make it harder for the criminals to get over walls.

As our cameras are in our plot and fixed to our villa I can’t see how anyone could have a complaint, other than neighbours, I would just be mindful of where they are pointing and what they can capture. As long as your neighbours agree I can’t see you having any problem.
Philipb1407

Postby elchedave » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:22 pm

I do believe it is not illegal to have cctv however it must NOT point into public areas, streets, neighbours properties etc, that IS illegal.
elchedave

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby Mac davies » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:10 pm

Thank you all for your input/suggestions, we have had a chat and we’re going to put them up to monitor our road and properties,will update if any issues,

Thanks again.
Mac davies

Postby blingle » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 am

Mac davies wrote:Thank you all for your input/suggestions, we have had a chat and we’re going to put them up to monitor our road and properties,will update if any issues,

Thanks again.

One thing to note is that before recording any images, the CCTV MUST be registered with the AEPD.

https://sgmlegalspain.com/spanish-law-o ... y-cameras/
blingle

Which part of Spain are you from?: Guardamar

Postby DTR » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 am

blingle wrote:
Mac davies wrote:Thank you all for your input/suggestions, we have had a chat and we’re going to put them up to monitor our road and properties,will update if any issues,

Thanks again.

One thing to note is that before recording any images, the CCTV MUST be registered with the AEPD.

https://sgmlegalspain.com/spanish-law-o ... y-cameras/

I was going to post the same link!
DTR