Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

There’s a question about solar

There’s a question about solar

Postby Philipb1407 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:03 pm

There’s a question about solar panels can they just be exchanged for replacements? My question is a little different!

I have a more detailed question, if you can buy from Leroy an inverter and panels, I presume to fit yourself, how would the solar energy produced be wired into your mains input?
Do you switch off the mains from the street and wire your own power source? Or if you have both, mains and solar, how does the grid know when to stop providing you with power and then start again?
If you fit your own, wouldn’t you need a qualified electrician to wire it up?
If you produce enough electric for all your needs, do you still need a provider?
It’s interesting because my exterior lighting is individual solar lights and they’ve been on for 2 years, they charge by day and light up at night. They light up the whole outside space and cost nothing to run, they were similar in cost to mains powered lights, so I get free light!.
Philipb1407

Re: There’s a question about solar

Postby camionpilot » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:03 pm

Most solar panels come prewired and you just daisy chain them together with "y" type connectors , inverters and panels are available from many sources [ many trying to lift your leg ..!] , i used VIA SOLAR who are in Burgos for some panels and inverters , sensible pricing , swift and prompt service .

Panels and parts i used were for mobile use .
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Bee » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 pm

You have a Power Inverter to convert the DC power to AC which feeds into your consumer unit and on to your power supplier meter when you are not using or have an over supply of solar power. Or if you have no solar power your power supplier feeds in the necessary power. If you want to be independent you install power storage batteries to your system to capture your over supply.

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:09 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you need to ask and not qualified do not try this yourself (not the same as say fitting to a Motorhome etc )
Find a good Electrician who knows Solar.
also not as easy as just connecting to the consumer unit, you can cause damage to both systems and need to fit a special small meter to export back to the grid for any compensation.
Stay Safe Always.......
Jabberwocky

Which part of Spain are you from?: Close to Torrevieja

Postby AndyC » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:36 pm

:text-goodpost:
AndyC

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby telmel » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm

Philipb1407 wrote:There’s a question about solar panels can they just be exchanged for replacements? My question is a little different!

I have a more detailed question, if you can buy from Leroy an inverter and panels, I presume to fit yourself, how would the solar energy produced be wired into your mains input?
Do you switch off the mains from the street and wire your own power source? Or if you have both, mains and solar, how does the grid know when to stop providing you with power and then start again?
If you fit your own, wouldn’t you need a qualified electrician to wire it up?
If you produce enough electric for all your needs, do you still need a provider?
It’s interesting because my exterior lighting is individual solar lights and they’ve been on for 2 years, they charge by day and light up at night. They light up the whole outside space and cost nothing to run, they were similar in cost to mains powered lights, so I get free light!.

I'm the same P, solar lights everywhere , on the roof, around the pool and the garage area , started fitting them after my neighbour was robbed, twice !!
I used to buy them from amazon but they are asking silly money now so i order from Temu, under six euros for a brilliant led with remote, its like blackpool illuminations when they are all on together
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Postby DaveP » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:36 pm

I used Quetebe who are based In Benijofar (Computer shop near Citroen showroom). They do all the necessary paperwork for you (apply to Town hall for permission, apply for grant.. don´t hold your breath, takes months!.. deal with your elctricity supplier.. do a super clean neat job). I think an amateur would be foolish to attempt such an electrical task and risk at worst electrocuting yourself or creating a fire risk. Use the professionals. They will also visit you in advance of an order and cost it out for you, leaving you a package of all the details and costs.. all for free prior to placing any order. Sorry phillipb 1407 but clearly your elctrical knowledge is very limited and if you buy materials yourself and attempt to fit them yourself just to save a few quid it could work out far more expensive in the long term.
DaveP

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills