Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Best options for bringing a dog out to holiday home

Best options for bringing a dog out to holiday home

Postby karllap » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:19 am

Hi, We are looking to bring our dog with us over the Summer Holidays and will do this regularly until we move out permanantly.
I have heard that I can get a passport quite cheap in Spain that will last 3 years but need to bring the dog out first. Is that correct?

If so I don't mind as I can pay a one off in England but the passport covers us for the next 3 years I think

Has anyone got any better ideas and where is the best place to get the passport?

Thanks
karllap

Re: Best options for bringing a dog out to holiday home

Postby cheflady » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:01 pm

Hi you'll need a English one first with all the information on it your vet does all the paperwork etc microchip number, proof of age all the booster jabs up to date,rabies vaccination also worming tablets then your dog is good to go! 6yrs ago it cost us £25.00 and €17.00 in Spain
cheflady

Postby raver » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:28 am

Initially to bring your dog out of the UK to Spain you will need an animal health certificate issued by your UK vet. Costs vary enormously between vets. I paid about £80 3 years ago but I have heard of people paying several hundred. It lasts up to 4 months and you have to use it within 10 days of issue. I would check with them what the latest Rabies vaccination requirement is as from memory your dog needs it a few weeks in advance of travel. Once in Spain you can get a passport which cost me 25€. Your dog then has to have the Rabies vaccination in Spain to maintain the validity of the passport.
raver

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby karllap » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:42 am

Hi, Thanks for the help. Does anyone have any recommendations for a vet in or near Quesada that I can use when she comes out here to get the passport from?
karllap

Postby raver » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:54 am

Rita at El Perro Verde is great and very helpful up near Canales supermarket. Tel 966 718117
raver

Postby Toonlass » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:59 pm

Rita @ perro Verde lovely vet, a very caring lady.
My dog gets excited to see her!
Toonlass

Postby sarnia cherie » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:02 pm

Go to your vet first as soon as possible. He will give you a British vet passport for your dog and check for a chip. You may need a rabies injection and a blood test before you travel. You do not need a EU passport as the vets here will be able to see all the dog’s history on it eg. chip number,injections etc. We had been here 2 years and been to vets several times with a UK passport with no trouble and only changed when we adopted a Spanish rescue dog and when he changed the ownership on her passport did we change our dog’s passport to a Spanish one for only a few euros. When you travel back to the UK you will need to go to the vet for a worming tablet and get the passport stamped. Will then have between 20 hours and 5 days to re-enter the UK. Plenty of dog friendly hotels in France and Spain just put pet friendly in the options part of Booking.com or similar website. We use Benican vets in Beniofar, several other very good vets in the area too.
sarnia cherie

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo pepin

Postby kevinchetwynd » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:21 pm

Firstly you need to get your dog a rabies vaccination.Then go online to Abbey well vets in Folkestone and arrange an animal health certificate to be collected on the day of travel.. They tend to be the cheapest around.You then have 10days to get into Europe.
When in Spain make an appointment at a vets.We use Benican in Beniofar to arrange another rabies injection as the one in the UK is not recognised.
You can then have a Spanish pet passport which lasts for 12 months.
You then have to have another rabies injection at 12 months anniversary this will then give 3 years validity on the pet passport .
You still have to pay for the wormer tablet at the vets to re enter the UK and is logged on the pet passport.
Hope this makes sense.
kevinchetwynd

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa

Postby sarnia cherie » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:31 pm

Check with your vet what you actually need. We moved here permanently 5 years ago and now have residencia and didn’t need another rabies injection until the one for our dog expired and used a UK dog passport for 2 years with no problems. I wouldn’t have thought you need to get a Spanish dog passport if you’re only here for holidays. Mind you things might have changed since Brexit. So please check everything before coming here and going to extra unnecessary trouble.
sarnia cherie

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo pepin