Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

UK car hire and IDP's

UK car hire and IDP's

Postby Benbow » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:31 pm

We are going to the UK in July and I'm doing research on car hire. I have never hired as a Spanish resident before and I can't imagine it will be straight forward! I am being told that I may need an IDP because my licence is not in English, but I need to get one from the country where I reside. Will this be in Spanish or can English be specified?
Benbow

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales

Re: UK car hire and IDP's

Postby nannyabroad » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:47 pm

I have just looked into this myself. It is not very clear on a lot of the car hire websites. However, Car Jet car Hire does state you do not need an idp if your license is in Roman Alphabet, ie, not Chinese, Arabic etc. I have spoken to friends also, who have never had a problem with a Spanish driving license.
nannyabroad

Which part of Spain are you from?: Rojales Hills

Postby mandkv » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:14 pm

In your shoes, I'd ring the company I intended using, as it will be them you have to satisfy.
mandkv

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada

Postby jpeg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:47 pm

I have used Enterprise in UK over the last 10 years and never had a problem with Spanish licence and never needed a IDL if you use them Join Enterprise Plus before you book
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby Silverlocke29 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:06 pm

Hi, any recommendations for car hire companies in U.K. that hire to over 76 years of age.
Cheers
Silverlocke29

Which part of Spain are you from?: San Luis

Postby Benbow » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:23 pm

:text-thankyouyellow:
nannyabroad wrote:I have just looked into this myself. It is not very clear on a lot of the car hire websites. However, Car Jet car Hire does state you do not need an idp if your license is in Roman Alphabet, ie, not Chinese, Arabic etc. I have spoken to friends also, who have never had a problem with a Spanish driving license.
Benbow

Postby Benbow » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:25 pm

mandkv wrote:In your shoes, I'd ring the company I intended using, as it will be them you have to satisfy.

Not sure yet. Just making a pre-emptive strike.
Benbow

Postby Benbow » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:25 pm

jpeg wrote:I have used Enterprise in UK over the last 10 years and never had a problem with Spanish licence and never needed a IDL if you use them Join Enterprise Plus before you book

:text-goodpost: thanks Fred.
Benbow

Postby Darro » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:28 pm

There is no law in UK requiring would be car renters to have an IDP, it's entirely down to the individual hire company and will be stated in their T&C's.

For a Spanish licence, which is in the approved EU format exactly the same as the UK licence, (surprised the rabid Brexiteers haven't seized on that one and demanded a return to old paper licences, or even the Red Book for those of an age!) there is neither logical nor defensible reason for one to be demanded but that is no guarantee that you won't be asked for it so the only bomb proof course of action is to just get one anyway!

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/how-do-i-apply-for-an-international-driving-licence/

Remember what you will need is a recent utility bill to prove your address.
Yes many will say that they've never needed such a thing but again I'd refer you to the hire companies T%C's.

I will never forget seeing a grown man reduced to tears in one of the hire offices at Stansted when he was asked for such and couldn't provide it. He was there arguing the toss when we entered and after queuing behind two or three other customers was still there when we left with our car keys.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby brandyboy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:46 am

I have hired from Enterprise over the past week. Spanish Licence, Utility Bill to prove Spanish Address. Credit Card. That’s all you need. No problem.
brandyboy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Next