Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Boat or drive all the way with pets

Re: Boat or drive all the way with pets

Postby sarnia cherie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:36 pm

Firstly go to your vet as soon as possible to see what you may need, like pet passport,rabies or other injections and blood test. On your return trip you need to go to a vet either here or in France to get a worming tablet and the passport stamped. You then have between 20 hours and 5 days to return to the UK. We have done the drive from St.Malo to Quesada or back many times with one dog and 2 dogs last year. We stop every 2 to 3 hours to refuel,toilet breaks and and leg stretches or food and drink. Depending on ferry times we have stayed at Nantes,Bordeaux,Biarritz,San Sebastián,La Rochelle,Rennes,Dinan and St.Malo mainly for a night or 2 or 3 nights for a bit of a break.
We just put “pet friendly “ into Booking.com for hotels or self catering and have only ever paid 5 or 10 euros or nothing for our dogs. This trip is about 950 miles on motorways.
sarnia cherie

Which part of Spain are you from?: lo pepin

Postby Chris Smith » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info Sarnia. We’ve had a chat about it and we’ve decided to go through the tunnel and stop over for just two nights.
Chris Smith

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Chris Smith » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:09 pm

Thank you all for your very helpful and informative replies. It’s a lot to think about.

We don’t want to cause our dog any stress, so we’ve decided to go through the tunnel and stop over just two nights.
Chris Smith

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Maccaloon » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:30 pm

I've been thinking about this as regards my cat...
Maccaloon

Which part of Spain are you from?: London (currently)

Postby Bee » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:32 pm

I hope your cat is a good car traveller. I have one that has to go to the vet once a month and I get the "3 Ps" on the journey in and the journey home as well as loud bawling. That is Pee,Puke and Poo. The journey time is only 15mins each way. Could you imagine listening to the catawaling for 18hrs!!!

Bee
Bee

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Shiva » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:24 pm

Bee wrote:I hope your cat is a good car traveller. I have one that has to go to the vet once a month and I get the "3 Ps" on the journey in and the journey home as well as loud bawling. That is Pee,Puke and Poo. The journey time is only 15mins each way. Could you imagine listening to the catawaling for 18hrs!!!

Bee

Crying is one thing but I would be seriously concerned if a cat cannot go 15 mins without either peeing, puking or pooing... they cannot be well. On a more general point, would welcome feedback from those who have actually travelled with cats overland and ferry ( NOT just dogs,they have different issues) and if this works for the cats without too much distress...
Shiva

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:27 am

Not unwell Shiva he is just stressed once he goes in his carrying cage. He has his health issue but it doesn't cause his car stress problem that is why anybody embarking on a long journey with a cat would need to do some test journeys to make sure they are up to it. I have another cat who has no problem with being in the carrying crate. She just takes it in her stride.

Bee
Bee

Postby Maccaloon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:22 am

My cat is 16 years old, very lively and healthy, but she's never been on a long journey in her life. I'm guessing car/ferry is the only option, but if I don't get a cabin, I wouldn't be able to let her stretch her legs (she's a scaredy cat and I'd worry she'd run off).

This would be her one and only (and permanent move) from UK to Quesada.
Maccaloon

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 pm

Here's a suggestion. Take Eurostar to Paris. They take cats and dogs for free. Then take a flight down to Alicante from Orly or Charles de Gaulle. Internal European flights- depending on Airline - take pets in the cabin usually weight restriction. It means you could be at your house with the cat in a few hours. Try Vueling and I think Air France fly into Alicante.

Bee
Bee

Postby Maccaloon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:31 pm

Bee wrote:Here's a suggestion. Take Eurostar to Paris. They take cats and dogs for free. Then take a flight down to Alicante from Orly or Charles de Gaulle. Internal European flights- depending on Airline - take pets in the cabin usually weight restriction. It means you could be at your house with the cat in a few hours. Try Vueling and I think Air France fly into Alicante.

Bee

Thanks, Bee. That’s a great idea. I could take the flight and my GF could drive the car over!

Nah, seriously, that’s great. Thanks.
Maccaloon

PreviousNext