Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Replacing TIE card

Replacing TIE card

Postby Beesknees » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:15 am

If a TIE card has been stolen do you have to go through all the procedures again or can a replacement card be issued. If so where can it be obtained
Beesknees

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Crispin

Re: Replacing TIE card

Postby Julie D » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 am

Hello. Yes, unfortunately, you have to go through the whole process again - complete paperwork, pay the Modelo 790 tax, book an appointment and do the fingerprints again. If your card was less than two years old, you can use the same photo from before, but everything else is the same. On the application form, you tick the duplicate box. But before all of that, you will need to go to the Guardia Civil and report the TIE card has been stolen, as you'll need to show the report at the fingerprint appointment along with everything else.
Julie D

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby Darro » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:59 am

And when you get the replacement colour photocopy and laminate it and carry that around leaving the original safely at home, ditto your driving licence. I've shown my TIE copy a number of times and no one has batted an eyelid at it being an obvious copy!

The Post Room in Benijofar can do all that for you if necessary.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Kevdurham » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:15 am

Is it legal to show an electronic copy of TIE and driving licence ?
I lost my original and you are correct it’s not as simple as asking for a replacement .
Kevdurham

Which part of Spain are you from?: dona pepa

Postby Darro » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:44 am

I wouldn't put it terms of legal or illegal.

Technically I'm sure you're probably supposed to show the original if demanded by someone in authority but by the same token as a foreigner you're supposed to carry your passport at all times and who amongst us does that, I know I don't, never have, and never will!

Remember that whatever rules or regulations may or may not exist on that point the Spanish have a credit card size ID card which they can easily carry in their wallets etc., we Brits however are stuck with an inconveniently sized passport which is nowhere near as easy to tote about, especially for a men.

I have a photocopy of that also, along with a photo on my phone, and if all together they fail to convince whomever that I am who I say then so be it, I'll happily sit in a jail cell for an hour or two until my wife brings the original documents.

As for the driving licence the same probably goes for that however if you have the MiDGT app on your phone your driving licence is in there in legally presentable form so there is no need at all to carry the original, nor indeed a copy.

You can make a denuncia online here https://denuncias.policia.es/OVD/Principal.dgp but you will have to attend your chosen police station in person to sign it.
Darro

Which part of Spain are you from?: Catral

Postby Bee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am

Download the MiDGT App from Play Store for your Driving Licence and car documents.

The App allows you to generate and consult your digital permissions as well as your main data. The digital documentation generated by miDGT is valid to drive and circulate in Spain, according to the regulation approved by the DGT.

https://carinsurancespain.es/midgt-mobile-application/

Bee
Bee

Postby Bee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:52 am

Julie D wrote:Hello. Yes, unfortunately, you have to go through the whole process again - complete paperwork, pay the Modelo 790 tax, book an appointment and do the fingerprints again. If your card was less than two years old, you can use the same photo from before, but everything else is the same. On the application form, you tick the duplicate box. But before all of that, you will need to go to the Guardia Civil and report the TIE card has been stolen, as you'll need to show the report at the fingerprint appointment along with everything else.

If you need someone to do the legwork for you then PM JulieD as she does it on a daily basis for clients. It's invaluable to have someone like her on the Forum who is used to dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.

Bee
Bee