Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

UK Driving Licence

Re: UK Driving Licence

Postby marcliff » Mon May 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Sage wrote:So as a UK resident with a UK photo card driving licence, driving their own Spanish car (not a hire car), in Spain, nobody in Spain (except their Spanish insurers) are going to know what convictions the driver has picked up in the uk ?

Th art seems crazy to me.

And what, exactly, would the difference be if you were driving with that licence in UK? There is no counterpart anymore. Unless you think the Spanish traffic police don't have access to the UK records?

From the AA website

The EU has put a system in place to share driver details across borders, for some safety-related driving offences:
Basically, if you commit one of the listed offences after 6 May 2017 and the authorities in another country request your details, then DVLA will now have to provide them.The new regulation (SI 2017/554) requires the DVLA to provide details of the registered keeper/owner at the time of the alleged traffic offence if the authorities in another EU country contact DVLA within 12 months of the date of the alleged offence with:
The reason for the delay until 6 May (end of this week) is because the UK has dragged its feet. Similarly, if you drive your UK car back to UK and commit an offence then the UK police can request the details from Spain.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby camionpilot » Mon May 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Last year I had a no fault accident with a UK vehicle , when the police turn up [ and usualy there is a Trafico badged megane as well ] and after asking what happened , they put your details , vec no into a small hand help machine around twice the size of a normal phone .

Within seconds all your details and the vehicle appear on screen in large yellow script , the police man said this is normal practice and we can follow a foreign registered vehicle and make a decision if to stop it or not if something is not in order, they can now drive down the streets armed with this machine, much as they do with illegal parkers ,just slow down take a picture and send you the fine , don't even have to stop ...click your done ...!!!!!
camionpilot

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa, Quesada

Postby Jan » Mon May 01, 2017 1:43 pm

marcliff wrote:Everyone is confusing the paper counterpart to the photocard with the older style paper driving licence.
They are two different things. The paper counterpart was issued with the photocard as there was no room on the plastic one to show bans or points.
The old paper licence is just that, a driving licence. It is perfectly legal to drive your own car or a hire car with that if you are a non-resident.
If you become resident, you must change the paper one to a photocard one because the paper one has an expiry date on your 70th birthday but residents in Spain must use the one with an expiry date 10 years after issue.

So, paper counterpart (now scrapped) is not the same as a paper driving licence.

Bye again

:text-goodpost:
:text-thankyouyellow:

Pleased to see you back marcliff - We were missing you and your very helpful information. Don't let the trouble-makers/Trolls that infiltrate all forums get to you. We do issue warnings and always eventually weed them out.

Jan.
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Postby Dave c » Mon May 01, 2017 2:00 pm

:text-goodpost: well said Jan marcliff and many others have helped me tremendously with their experience and good advice.
Dave c

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Jan » Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Dave c wrote::text-goodpost: well said Jan marcliff and many others have helped me tremendously with their experience and good advice.

:text-goodpost:

Thank you. We have some great members on here and marcliff is one of the best!
Like us on Facebook to keep in touch: Facebook.com/TalkQuesada
Jan
Site Admin

Which part of Spain are you from?: Lo Marabu Dona Pepa

Previous

Return to Quesada general discussion