Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Registering our daughter in school

Registering our daughter in school

Postby Chippyguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Good morning,

I need some advice on how we can register our daughter in school.

We are planning to move on 1st July and will be renting a house around Quesada, Rojales, Benijofar. The aim is for our daughter to attend IES La Encanta.

We are visiting in April to view Houses to rent and hopfully find what we are looking for ( If anyone has/knows of a 3 bed to rent in these areas that alllows a small dog please let me know )

What do we need to do to register her in school?

Many Thanks
Martin
Chippyguy

Which part of Spain are you from?: Benijofar

Re: Registering our daughter in school

Postby GLASSMAN » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm

did,nt know you could just turn up in spain and register your child in a school to attend,
can you?
do you not have to be residents first?
and be working here ,
I could be wrong,
in spain its a contributing system
in uk its a free for all system,
it aint like UK in many respects ,were all and sundry get on the system,without contributing.
hope you get it sorted and enjoy living here.
GLASSMAN

Which part of Spain are you from?: quesada/

Postby marcliff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 pm

No, you don't need to be working. You do have to have residency though and the child needs an NIE and you will need to be on the padron (local council register).
You will need to attend an interview at the school where they assess the level of Spanish and level of education. You will also need their immunisation record in most schools and a translated copy of their previous achievements such as school certificates plus passport.
Some schools only register on certain dates for the next term so check first on when they are doing this. Pretty sure some on here could give you advice on what those dates are but ISTR my neighbours in El Galan had to do it in March for the term beginning September.
Good luck.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby Chippyguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm

When we visit in April hopefully we will obtain the NIE and be able to start a rental contract so that we can begin the registration process for the Padron and residencia.
We have her immunisation and school records.
We were hoping that if we were on the Padron and residencia we could just register her in a school within the catchment area?
Am I being too ambitious for her to start school in September?
Chippyguy

Postby Scipio » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Phoenix International in San Miguel would take her
Scipio

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:51 am

Chippyguy wrote:When we visit in April hopefully we will obtain the NIE and be able to start a rental contract so that we can begin the registration process for the Padron and residencia.
We have her immunisation and school records.
We were hoping that if we were on the Padron and residencia we could just register her in a school within the catchment area?
Am I being too ambitious for her to start school in September?

Don't forget health insurance............goodluck
GLASSMAN

Postby cookemum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm

When we moved over in July 2013, we went to IES La Encanta and said that we wanted our two daughters to attend from September. We were given all the forms to fill in and told what else was required - padron, immunisation records, passport photos, photocopies of passports etc.... We did have NIEs at that point but our daughters didn't. We had missed the proper dates for registering but maybe there were spaces so it did not matter too much. The girls both started in September, a year below their age to help their Spanish.
cookemum

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby marcliff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 pm

cookemum wrote:When we moved over in July 2013, we went to IES La Encanta and said that we wanted our two daughters to attend from September. We were given all the forms to fill in and told what else was required - padron, immunisation records, passport photos, photocopies of passports etc.... We did have NIEs at that point but our daughters didn't. We had missed the proper dates for registering but maybe there were spaces so it did not matter too much. The girls both started in September, a year below their age to help their Spanish.

:text-goodpost:

I knew someone who had done it would give the real gen.
marcliff

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dona Pepa 2

Postby GLASSMAN » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm

good real info , good this forum :D
GLASSMAN

Postby Chippyguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Cookemum,
Great post, thanks for your comments.

Can I ask how your children did at the school? As our daughter does not speak much Spanish (She has a tutor currrently) but we think she will pick it up quickly.
Did they fit it, was there other children who didn't speak much spanish, or spoke English aswell?
Did they enjoy going to IES La Encanta?

Many Thanks for your help

Martin
Chippyguy