Join Talk Quesada

Welcome to Talk Quesada! My name's Alex and this is my website all about Ciudad Quesada in Spain. Talk Quesada is free to sign up and use so register below!

Charges for using my uk sim card to call freephone numbers ?

Charges for using my uk sim card to call freephone numbers ?

Postby telmel » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:32 pm

I am a little bit confused about the charges i might incur using my UK sim to call freephone numbers from Spain
I just had a message from EE to say they are reintroducing roaming charges from June
I dont use my UK card much, i have a dual sim, one Spanish on a plan and the other UK PAYG in my phone
I have been calling the freephone pension line to the UK just recently and will probably have to call them a bit later on this year
Does anyone know if i can still call freephone numbers from Spain without incurring roaming charges , i know normal numbers will incur a charge
Also if i get a call from the UK to my UK sim will i get charged for this ?
TIA
telmel

Which part of Spain are you from?: orihuela costa

Re: Charges for using my uk sim card to call freephone numbe

Postby Kevin & Carol » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:10 pm

I have pay as you go with EE and you can use you minutes and text for the same price as the uk.
My wife has a contract with EE and she has to pay an extra £10 a month while we are in Europe so she can use her minutes and texts at the same price as if was still in the uk. Last year she got hammered at £2.00 a day for not taking out the extra £10 a month out. As luck had it it was only for 6 days as we noticed that our bill was a lot more than is normally was.
Kevin & Carol

Which part of Spain are you from?: Quesada

Postby Citreon2cv » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Lobster you get calls to up free from a Spanish phone..
Citreon2cv

Which part of Spain are you from?: La siesta

Postby telmel » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 pm

Thanks for the replies but i am still in the dark about being able to call a freephone 0800 number from spain using my uk sim now they have reintroduced roaming charges ?
The last time i called it was free of charge, i was on the line for over one hour if you count the waiting time
telmel

Postby Steve wilkins » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:51 am

EE should have what they charge on their website for all eventualities. Have you tried contacting them about your question?

Failing that, you could do a quick call to the phone number in question and do a before and after balance check. That would at least give you some idea of the cost.
Steve wilkins

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby The Accountant » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:35 am

I have a PAYG with Vodafone. This may not help much, but if I don't pay a roaming charge, then I can not call or text any numbers from Spain. I can however, still receive calls and texts. After not using my phone to call or text after 45 days my number will be discontinued. So I am left with 3 choices.
1. Lose my number that I have had for over 30 years.
2. Pay for roaming and send some unecessary texts and make some calls at least every 44 days.
3. Top-up my phone with £10 of credit on line every 44 days.
At present I am going with option 3.
So if EE are required to play by the same rules, then whether 0800 numbers are free or not won't really come into it as you probably won't be able to use your phone without paying chrges anyway.
Movistar didn't use to charge for dialling UK Freephone numbers, but that's going back some 20 odd years so don't know if that is still true. Probably not, but you could investigate.
The Accountant

Which part of Spain are you from?: Torrevieja

Postby telmel » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply A, very detailed
It sounds similar to EE, and i also have had my UK number for a long time so don't want to lose it
I had a few pound credit on my phone until recently , but i kept getting voicemails from spam callers and every time i listened to them i got charged, also i was accidentally calling voicemail when i was deleting messages , i am sure there is some software in there somewhere that makes you call the message even when you swipe to delete , a good way for them to use up your credit !!, so now there is just 77p left
If they are now charging to call freephone numbers from spain i will have to use the voip option i have, but this requires topping up every few months and anyway and you cannot call 0800 numbers, so i would have to call a landlinre number that i will get charged for also
Basically you are screwed because of Brexit yet again concerning phone charges amongst other things :roll:
telmel

Postby Fender » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:04 pm

Hi - I am with EE pay monthly. Over in Spain for 2 months. I had to phone Dept of Pensions before end of July to pay voluntary NI as I was a few years short. I phoned the 0800 number on numerous occasions at all times of the day. I was worried that my plan would not cover the 0800 number ( +44800) and literally I was hanging on the phone for HOURS over the course of 4 / 5 days. They cut me off / disconnected me etc. I checked with EE - they phoned back & reassured me 0800 numbers are free ( Dept of Pens cover the cost) but check your plan. I had roaming overseas & had free calls. Check your EE app to confirm as well. By the way when I got through they were so helpful & was dealt with really quickly. It’s one way the HMRC get as much money upfront as they can!! You just have to be persistent. Phone at 0800 am time ( 0900 here) not on a Monday. They close the lines at 1700 ( UK time)
Fender

Which part of Spain are you from?: Jacarilla

Postby jpeg » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:18 pm

Why not use the phone option on Whars app or Messenger they are free
jpeg

Which part of Spain are you from?: Dolores

Postby telmel » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:31 pm

Fender wrote:Hi - I am with EE pay monthly. Over in Spain for 2 months. I had to phone Dept of Pensions before end of July to pay voluntary NI as I was a few years short. I phoned the 0800 number on numerous occasions at all times of the day. I was worried that my plan would not cover the 0800 number ( +44800) and literally I was hanging on the phone for HOURS over the course of 4 / 5 days. They cut me off / disconnected me etc. I checked with EE - they phoned back & reassured me 0800 numbers are free ( Dept of Pens cover the cost) but check your plan. I had roaming overseas & had free calls. Check your EE app to confirm as well. By the way when I got through they were so helpful & was dealt with really quickly. It’s one way the HMRC get as much money upfront as they can!! You just have to be persistent. Phone at 0800 am time ( 0900 here) not on a Monday. They close the lines at 1700 ( UK time)

Thanks F, it was this i was also calling about, i called a few times and as you say the waiting time was horrendous but very helpful once through
I know i will have to call them again soon so i hope i can get through to them using the freephone
cheers
telmel

Next